Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Virgin Mary's Never Looked So Hot


Outrage at busty Virgin Mary models

Not much else to report, really. I just thought the lady looked very pretty, that's all.

Actually, I had wanted to share this the other day, and I guess now's as good a pretext to do so as any: the most beautiful version of Ave Maria I've ever heard. (Ignore the Hitman image. Just minimize the window and enjoy the music.) Apparently this rendition is by Schubert? And was originally called "Ellens dritter Gesang" but has been promulgated as the "Ave Maria"? You can read more about it on Wikipedia; here's the link to the lyrics being sung here.

For the Latin-loving members of the audience (self almost included), there are Latin versions rather than German versions still set to Schubert's Ellen song, apparently. And one was sung by none other than Luciano Pavarotti. Look into it! :) I prefer Daniel Perret's performance, as Daniel is much more angelic and soft-sounding, whereas Pavarotti's performance is much too forceful, as though he were singing as Maria's warrior! ^^; But until Daniel sings his version once more in Latin, I guess I'll have to juggle between both.

4 comments:

Mack Ramer said...

Schubert's Ave Maria was played at my wedding mass.

Mack Ramer said...

Also at my mass it was sung by Michelle Mitsui (wife of Daniel Mitsui, though our wedding was actually a month before theirs, in the same church of course).

Lunar said...

She's not that pretty. :/

Also, this is the best version of Ave Maria. :)

http://www.wordresources.net/sermons/Ave Maria.mp3

Jay said...

Now I see why God couldn't resist!