Quoting Ben from the blog update talked about below:
Oh yeah, lunchtable. So, like, the [Dude] and El "Bobo" played dorkcards-- and [Dude] apparently won, so good for him, NOW DORKWORLD IS HIS, or something as equally engrishy.
Granted, there's a lot of nostalgia involved, but still, this cracked a pretty big smile. I wish you guys were still a part of my daily life so that I could take breaks by reading these sorts of RSS feeds about my own day as seen through the lens of my friends. I know that sounds egoistic, but it's true.
Postscript: I miss being a part of other people's reportable lives and only existing insofar as I reply to their reported lives. I would compare this emotional feeling with looking at photo albums:
1) I would rather look at pictures taken at an event that I co-attended than look at photos that I didn't; and furthermore
2) given a photo album whose contents I recognize because I was there myself, I would very much like to see me in some of those photos and would be very disappointed to not see me even once. (The most famous example of this? Grade school yearbooks, guys! :p Remember how we always looked for additional pictures that contained us besides the token picture? and we hoped they were not random garbage photos of us walking in the locker hall but of us actually doing things we remembered?)
Translation: my friends' blog updates used to have a direct link to my life because our experiences were so mutual, so shared, and I was physically present for so much of them. These same friends' blog updates no longer have any direct link to my life and that sort of sucks but it's not their fault and it's the same exact way for them and with my weblog. And as for the Facebook photo albums that various medical school students upload, 90% of them have got nothing to do with me and even the 10% that do never have photos of me unless I'm the fucker uploading the album in the first place.
Deeper translation: Ryan minus shared experiences with friends = isolated. I share experiences solely with non-friends and I share next to no experiences with friends. And no: blogging about The Dark Knight does not fucking count. Goddammit. I want to sign in tomorrow and read on Ben's weblog about how he and I went to Chicago and got chased for 2 blocks by some crazy Arab guy frothing at the mouth who we affectionately nicknamed "Hatt Rabies". I want to check Matt's weblog and read about the tiger that fell out of a tree onto the hood of his car and be able to say, "Yeah, reminds me of the time in '07 when we almost crashed into that bobcat!" Crazy, unforgettable friend stuff.
Where the fuck is my crazy, unforgettable friend stuff?
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
VINNA KINKY ROLIGT
Post a Comment