Wednesday, September 24, 2008

6 years later

My good hometown friend Ben restored a lot of his old weblog data to public access. I went to the oldest month, October 2002, and started reading some of the replies. You see, on this friend's blog, somewhere along the line I started a tradition of calling myself a variation of "The Dude" because Ben and many other students in high school called me this, and I wanted to see when that tradition started.

Well, you guessed it: my very first reply ever, "The Dude" (again, not really those words but you get the idea).

But that's not why this blog update is called "6 years later." Oh no. It's called "6 years later" because of a very famous inside joke, so I'm afraid my non-hometown friends are going to be sort of out of the loop from this point forward. :(

Quote:
And let me explain for all the Blog-Whores? out there: I know the word "awry" (pron. "uh-RYE") when said through speech. However, I had not seen it written in all my memory, and upon seeing the word used several times by Thomas Hardy in his masterpiece, Tess of the d'Urbervilles, I became enchanted by it. Reading it as a-w-r-y, I thought it was "AH-ree", kind of like how Omri is "AHM-ree" or brawny is "BRAH-nee". The fact that I didn't know the two words meshed together might be humorous to some (like M. Probbka), but I am sure that our generous host here at [2008:censored] understands what it's like to hear the word and not connect it with its spelling. Eh, "Bobo"?

Observations:
1. I'm wordy as fuck now, and I was wordy as fuck back then too. (Not a surprise; well-known, well-remembered fact.)

2. But my word choice was much more elegant and much less crass back then.

3. To 2008 me's POV, 2002 me's writing reads very, very schizophrenically.

4. My writing back then was really heavy on inside jokes: how many can we count in that one paragraph alone? "probbka", "Babo", "awry", that's three in just one of many paragraphs.

But most important of all, and the reason for the blog update ...

5. I STILL READ (rhymes with "red") THE WORD "awry" AS "AH-ree" INSTEAD OF AS "uh-RYE"!


In my double defense, a) I caught myself less than 2 seconds after I did it and b) even if you didn't trust that claim you still have to trust that I caught it because otherwise how would you explain this blog update? ;p So lay off! ;p

No comments: