Monday, July 21, 2008

LaserJet Printer

I haven't christened the printer yet (probably should think of a good name before hooking it up to the PC), so forgive the plain title of tonight's weblog update. I went to Fry's Electronics in Fishers, Indiana today (a "slight" detour from my ultimate goal of Lafayette) to go purchase a laserjet printer. Reasons:
  • I need a printer slightly because of the annoyance, the time lost on the road (10 minutes each way), the gas lost driving, etc. of going to Lynn every time I need to print something off, often things as simple as one page from Google Maps or two pages of study notes
  • I need a printer greatly because of the reinstitution of my "printed-off doujins" policy. (For more details, ask? Awkward.)
  • I recently learned that laserjet printers have much more expensive toner/ink cartridges than do inkjet printers, but that they last so much longer that within 1 year of fairly regular printing the home office user will have spent as much money on ink cartridges as he will have on his inkjet printer whereas he will have only spent 10% of his laserjet printer's cost in the form of toner replacements. Because of this knowledge, it seemed slightly beneficial to me to get a laserjet.
  • For $150, I was able to get a $200 Hewlett-Packard black-only laserjet printer.
  • For $300, I could have gotten the color one.
  • But I don't need my own color printer because I rarely need to print in color and so I can still count on using Purdue's facilities for those rare times.
  • And finally, I sort of did this as a $150 experiment: because my family has a Dell color inkjet printer and they go through black ink (alone) at roughly the rate of one cartridge every 3-4 weeks. It's very, very expensive and having to order replacements through Dell every month is driving my mom crazy. If this laserjet printer turns out to be pretty awesome, then I will encourage them to get the $300 color one. If it turns out to be a shitty dud, then it's a lesson learned at the expense of $150. I can still continue to print at Purdue, and they can keep doing what they're doing. Worst case scenario, thus, is nothing more than a maintaining of the status quo.


I've already used the names Kotoko (numerous times), Sumomo, and Freya for computers. I didn't really grow attached to Elda (despite loving Chii), and I don't believe in naming a computer Chii (since she's above that). I didn't really care for Yuzuki. I wouldn't name a computer after Ueda's Yumi. And unless I was christening a server or an antivirus program, I wouldn't use the names Zima or Dita. So that stated, I'm thinking I'm out of Chobits names. There never really was any persocom in the show who fit the role of a printer anyway -- they were PCs, laptops, a server, and a firewall/antivirus. (Naming my router with a Chobits name, iirc Freya, is already going one step too far for me!)

I will try to think of a good pop culture name for my printer. Until then, I OCD'edly won't be able to install it. HAL doesn't work. Preferably something that actually had to do with printing. Which I fear is going to prove pretty difficult considering even robot movies and novels focus on the PC and AI aspect of robots and not on tasks like printing, faxing, being a joystick or a keyboard, etc.

6 comments:

Lunar said...

You should do like me and start naming your devices after figures from Greek and Roman mythology. My hard drive is named Luna, and I have other devices named things like Artemis, Cassandra, etc.

Mack Ramer said...

My iPod is named Artemis :)

Mack Ramer said...

Also you don't need to christen your printer... although it suffers the defects of all matter in a postlapsarian world, it's only an artifact, not even a hypostasis (cf. Arist., Physicæ Auscultationes 192b) :)

SuiginChou said...

HAHAHA, nice, Matt. Nice. XD You know what I mean. :p "The naming of boats", whatever that be called (yarrrr), is what I mean by the use of the term "christening." "Naming of inanimate objects" may suffice but sounds wordy and plain.

As for Greek gods, I don't want to name my networks, computers, and computer accessories after world deities. Just don't. I prefer to name them after people or things which fit their roles. By which I mean (see below explanations):

Kotoko = my desktop-replacement laptop (11/2003 - 09/2005) because that's exactly what Kotoko is in the show! (a desktop-replacement laptop)

Kotoko = my Nintendo DS Lite (11/2006 - present) because I no longer have a laptop :p and the DS is still portable and fun. I probably should have named it Sumomo. In fact, I may have renamed it Sumomo when I got it back from Nintendo and was prompted to give it a new name ...

Sumomo = I forget, I know I named something Sumomo ... perhaps my current DS Lite ...

kotoko = my Linux b0xx0r I inherited from Matt (??/2006 - present) because Kotoko was dragonfly's persocom of choice, and dragonfly was a master hacker second only to Kokubunji. (i.e. Linux, hackers, you get it)

Freya = I think is the name I gave to my wireless router network (05/2008 - present) because Freya famously communicates with Chii out of thin air and because of how first-time viewers may entertain the theory that she is wirelessly communicating with Chii from a faraway point (I harbored that incorrect theory but preferred the sadly-also-incorrect theory that Freya was Chii, and that Chii had had a tragic past existence that she had escaped via suicide i.e. a data dump ... yeah, even in November 2003 I was a sucker for a good tragedy :p)

sumomo = apparently I (mis)named my current PC "sumomo." O_o Probably because when Ben L. came over to help me finish what Ben C. and Andrew could not, we got it working and he wanted to waste no time in getting me up and running with Windows software patches and drivers and such, so he said "just type in a name" and I chose this because of how many times I've already used "kotoko" XD

Why no Chii? - that would almost be like naming my PC "Moses." (Uncomfortable, inappropriate, Chii is waaaaaay better than any PC I could hope to own. Ever. :p As she will always be the über-PC)

Why no Elda? - see "Chii" above PLUS Elda never really grabbed me the way Chii and Freya did.

Why no [insert other persocoms]? - see "Elda" above only minus the "could never hope to own a PC like her"

Unknown said...

I came up with a pretty good name for laser: "Samsung". It's lasted over a year by now printing off lots of notes from both me and stephanie and it's just now starting to die on the toner cartridge.

SuiginChou said...

Eh, it's not for me. Besides, I want a name that belongs to a person or character, not one that belongs to a city, meal, or company. And not a random character ("Barbecue" or "snowball") but one that actually relates to printing. Acceptable tie-ins that I can imagine would be:

- a robot that has a laser (get it?) that he uses to often inscribe things on surfaces

- a character who works at a newspaper factory (lol, "orson" or "kane")

- an office worker in a film who is famously seen near the Xerox machine all the time

And even then, it can't just be any film or movie. As can be guessed, I'm gravitating towards a name based on fictional characters over real ones and on well-loved sci-fi or Japanese television series over American television, film, or books.

I'll figure something out. Still in its box until then.