I had business to attend to on campus today so I caught an unusually early dinner (5:05pm) in combination with having had no breakfast and lunch (woohoo! [/sarcasm]) and got Panera's broccoli & cheddar soup in a sourdough bread bowl for the first time ever. I'd been seriously meaning to try it since June after seeing my friend Ben get one every time we've been to Panera for the last 3 years, so I finally did tonight because a) I was in an acceptable mood for soup (RARE! rarer still is the elusive mood to actually want soup), b) I wanted a source of carbs that wasn't my usual standby of plain nachos + mild salsa straight out of a Tostito's can or my other usual standby of a Panera chicken Caesar salad, and c) the bread bowl provided carbs, fat, and vegetables. Hooray! Needless to say the soup was decent but meh and this is completely off the subject I intend to blog about. (Surprised?) Well, not completely off subject ... (Surprised?)
I headed out to my car after leaving Panera but took an abrupt U-turn, walked back into the foyer shared by Panera and Borders and took a right into Borders. I decided to see (again) if they happened to have GRRM's Game of Thrones in hardback and unscuffed. (As on my previous attempt at this store, Borders didn't even have the book at all, never mind in hardback and never mind unscuffed and virginal. They had only paperback copies of Books 2 through 4.) But what should my eyes land on in my search for Mr. Martin but Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451. Another book on my "never read but always meant to read" list. Yoink! ($6.99)
I was then reminded of a story I had really, really enjoyed in the 8th grade: Dark They Were, and Golden-Eyed. It's one of Bradbury's few stories I have really gotten into. (And I've read a hundred easy.) It was a blend of strange, horrifying, and arousing. (Results may vary, 'specially on that last one.) It was one of Mr. Bradbury's many, many, many short stories featuring human colonists on Mars, but I could not find it in any of the anthologies Borders had. Not in The Martian Chronicles (which I read in high school for Accelerated Reader and 50% re-read today on speed mode), not in The Golden Apples of the Sun (& Other Stories) (a half-space half-non-space collection of 50+ of Bradbury's tales), not in "The Short Stories of Ray Bradbury, Volume 1" (50+ stories). Couldn't find it. Just found it right now on Wikipedia by luck: I was going to link you guys to some Bradbury stuff and decided to (desperately) try his complete list of works. And of course the title (what with my knowing the premise of the story) jumped out at me immediately.
Does anybody know where I can find this story? I would like to read it soon; and while free's always good, I was prepared and remain prepared to purchase a book under $12 which may contain this story. It could be a Bradbury compilation, a sci-fi compilation, anything. I just really liked this story in 8th grade and would like to re-read it.
EDIT: to clarify, I don't consider Amazon.com's $10 cassette tapes or $72 book to be acceptable solutions. I would like a paper book (preferably with more than just this one 10-page story!!!) for $12 or less. $10 for a ten-page story is a ripoff plus I lack an audio cassette player. $72 for any book less than 50 years old (and I mean it, not its original printing date but it physically itself) is simply asinine, I'm sorry.
Monday, July 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Don't get too attached to those bread bowls... they're 590 calories each, even before the soup. There's fewer calories than a Big Mac!
As stated, I hadn't had breakfast or lunch. All I ate yesterday was the bread bowl, a small unhealthy snack of four rectangles (i.e. ¼ of a bar) of Hershey's chocolate with four squares (i.e. 2 bars) of graham crackers, and two dry, stale nachos that had been out on a napkin on my desk since Thursday. Not healthy at all, but not all that caloric either.
Anyway, today's plan for lunch is likely salad before hitting up the gime.
Post a Comment