Last Monday, we started our 3-part phelebotomy & glucose tolerance lab. Here's the rundown:
Last Monday, I drew blood from my partner and he drew blood from me. I hate needles, and my skin is still a (faint) yellow-purple stain from the hemmorhagic bruise he caused last Monday. (I didn't feel it -- only the needle under my skin -- but apparently he went through the vein. ^^; )
Tonight at midnight, I have to stop eating or drinking non-water things, and stay that way until the lab tomorrow at 1pm. There we'll do a 2-hour glucose tolerance test to really ascertain just how diabetic (or non-diabetic) I am, since a blood glucose test (which we've already done) can only take you so far with the many assumptions it makes. Seven other students (of sixteen) will also be doing this. He will have to draw blood three times on three separate occasions (initially, 1 hr, and 2 hr iirc). Not looking forward to it. Especially since you're not supposed to phlebotomize the same vein twice in one day, which means he'll have to go through three different veins.
Next week, my partner and I will switch roles. I wanted to get it out of the way, so I volunteered to go first. Not excited, but there you have it.
We'll get the blood work back from a local hospital's blood lab and then write up a report on diabetics, blood glucose sugar, etc., and using our own blood for a self-diagnosis.
Sunday, February 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Oh man, I don't know if I could go through with that. Hopefully your partner's withdrawals will be deft and painless.
Come on man, stop being such a lady.
I've never understood people who are afraid of getting a little blood drawn. Doesn't faze me at all...
Even thinking about it ... *hates it* It's not just the pain of the needle piercing you, either. It's also the knowing that it's in you. And it's also the feeling that's in you. If not for that last bit, it'd be easy to say, "Ryan, it's all in your head. Just clear your mind and don't think about it." But you can FEEL THE NEEDLE IN YOU, especially as the nurse tries to take off one blood tube and put in the second.
I'm eating a bunch of carrots right now as a healthy "fill-my-tummy" snack before bed. Normally I try not to eat before bed, but it's 11:47pm, and so in just 13 more minutes ... the hellish fasting begins. x_x
Funny thing is, I cooked three bowls of spaghetti tonight but I ate the leftover burger meat (which I turned into one, .25 lb burger) and so the bowls of spaghetti are all in the fridge, asking to be eaten. (fyi the burger ended up being about the size of a White Castle burger. Probably not the best dinner. >_> So tiny ...)
So what if it's in you? It doesn't hurt that badly. Not as bad as a migraine headache, or the fucking cardboard cuts under my fingernails I get at work.
The needle itself is beyond razor sharp, so you can barely even feel it going in. Well, it's never bothered me at all...
Post a Comment