Thursday, September 20, 2007

The Wrong Stuf


The only thing I really wanted to say tonight (and this concerns UPN folk more than any other party) is you probably shouldn't use The Right Stuf anymore. :\ Here is a complete list of the problems I have faced with them in chronological order:

1 - I ordered KareKano boxset and it arrived with DVD #4's box all scratched up (as if a knife had been taken to the box and ripped 0.5" thick into it) [Fall 2005]

2 - I ordered Snow Fairy Sugar boxset and the very first episode on Disc 1 had a fragmented chunk of data 10 minutes into it that kills it on most DVD players (including XBox and modded XBox) [Late Winter 2007]

3 - I ordered the Haruhi Collector's Box #1 and it came with just the box, DVD, and CD. No pencil board, no whatever the hell the other thing was. (not a big deal, but still!) [Late Spring 2007]

4 - I just ordered Rozen Maiden DVD #3 several weeks ago. On Friday, the box came ... with no DVD inside. At all. When I asked for a refund or replacement, they said I had to ship back the box. UPS told me it would cost $8.08 to do that and (God bless the employee's heart) that it was outrageous for The Right Stuf to ask me to pay for S&H for a manufacturer's error. I told them this in an e-mail and they tersely offered to send me Rozen Maiden DVD #3 "without the box" "in the mail." In other words, it's going to show up, and it's going to be scratched and heat-fucked to high hell. And fuck if I know it won't just be a DVD+R burn.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I would have stopped buying from them with just that KareKano incident. I've stopped buying from people for lesser things.

I currently buy from www.discountanimedvd.com, mostly because the price is good and they haven't given me any problems. EVER.

I even get 1/6th scale figures with the boxes in near perfect condition. And considering the frailty of the box (being mostly flimsy cardboard and clear plastic encasement), and the fact that 90% of other stores ship them to you pretty beat up, it's nice to see "Mint in box" items with a near mint box as well.

Or buy from me when my store is ready =D

I like the karate chop animation you got here too!

SuiginChou said...

The DVD just showed up in the mail. It has a lot of hairline scratches all over ~5% of its total surface area (which for a DVD is a ton of scratches on what should otherwise be a brand-new disc!). I'm pretty confident that this is one of Right Stuf's returned discs. I haven't tested it yet (just signed on; will be testing it shortly) but even if all four episodes appear to work flawlessly, this is like ... the straw that broke the camel's back *after* his back was already broken. :\ Wtf, Right Stuf. What the fuck.

Mcsweeney said...

Part of the reason why I download everything instead of buying is because I genuinely like not having a physical thing to take care of. Storing and moving things is so annoying, and having it as data on my computer is so convenient.

If I want to watch a certain scene from a DVD I own, I'll usually be too lazy to dig it up and play it, but it's so much easier to access it with only a few clicks since I'm on my computer constantly anyway.