Sunday, September 30, 2007

The Ripple Effect


It sounds like my decision to leave UPN* has had a semi-foreseeable but regrettable consequence: people are pronouncing the place dead left and right. True, my posts comprised close to 25% of daily forum traffic across all boards (the last time I actually checked the figures), and over 50% of traffic in the Miscellaneous Discussion (guesstimate), but still.

The picture I've attached today was an unexpected find I made this afternoon: some Japanese AV idol (I would presume) dressed up as Asahina Mikuru from the Suzumiya Haruhi franchise. Reference photo provided.

* because it's too addicting for me and I spent too much time posting there (when I am an active member) instead of studying or doing more productive things with my time

6 comments:

Lunar said...

You've killed UPN! It's all your fault! Now you have to live with that knowledge. ;)

SuiginChou said...

There's always AV Mikuru. ;p

SuiginChou said...

It looks like I owe Miss Kipi an apology.

While it's always possible that she is part of (or will one day be part of) the adult video market in Japan, her photo (seen above) is one of hundreds of photos of Kipi -- who is apparently a well-known and admired professional cosplayer (if such a thing can be said to exist).

So my apologies, Kipi. I should not have concluded that you were an AV star just because you are beautiful, sumptuously eyeing the camera, and wearing an outfit associated with one of anime's most lusted-after characters.

Sample image of Kipi at her best

SuiginChou said...

And I thank Rapidsearch for delivering unto me a 253 MB directory of over 1200 of her pictures. (100% of which were smaller than either 800 wide or 600 tall, curses!)

After I discovered that she was "just a camwhore" and not a "whore whore," I wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt; but dude, some of these photos ............. this girl H-A-S to have been approached by at least one (if not multiple) Japanese AV company(-ies).

Oh well. All I can say is, girls like her really, really, really do inject a lot of healthy hope into the otaku fanpool. It might be unrequited in 99% of cases, but hey, at least it's hope.

Unknown said...

Actually, I have heard of professional cosplayers. They are mostly in Japan, but there are a few in the States too.

In fact, I met a woman who has been dressed as Haruko Haruhara from FLCL for the past few years of Otakon (I think she said 5) and she was trying to get a petition to be considered "professional" so she could get free admission and free lodging at conventions. Sadly, she lost her petition list several times while having her photo taken or while she was walking around. I think I signed her petition 3 times that day XD

Anyway, I remember glancing over a few interviews with professional cosplaying women from Japan in some old issues of New Type USA. Mostly asking about why they chose to dress as certain characters, what challenges they had in doing the costume, and stuff like that. Some were even VAs for anime characters (not necessarily the ones they cosplayed for). So if I end up posting one, I suppose I could scan them or something for you if you want.

SuiginChou said...

Well, you probably already know this, too, ... but for our hometown readers out there, I'll go ahead and mention that everybody's favorite villainess from Rozen Maiden, Suigin Tou, was voice acted by Tanaka Rie; and that Miss Tanaka has been an avid cosplayer of the Suigin Tou character, even appearing for recordings fully decked out as the character. When you see other photos of her, she looks like a completely normal young woman, maybe even one who would find anime a little meh. It's crazy how normal (and sexy) some women who are total anime dorks can be sometimes.

Of course, reality is a cruel mistress; and the fact of the matter is that 99.999999% of anime dorks that also happen to have a vagOO instead of a pOnOs tend to be fugly; or, as the Japanese would say, busu.