When I hear a note, I ask myself if it's the first note to the following songs ... (update)
C - half of the songs written in the last 100 years ;p
D - "Memory of Mother," from Snow Fairy Sugar
E - "Hace Mucho, Mucho Tiempo" from Pan's Labyrinth
F -
G - the first note to the chorus of "Piano Man"
A - "Fake Wings," from .hack//SIGN
B -
C# - second note from "Lilium," from Elfen Lied
D# - first note from Mozart's most famous song from "The Magic Flute," and several other classical pieces
F# - first note from "Lilium"
G# - third note from "Lilium"
A# -
The problem I have with F when I hear it with no other notes is that, to my mind, it sounds very similar to C. But as I begin to get a better appreciation from absolute C (rather than relative C, i.e. C next to other notes), I begin to get a better appreciation for F as well -- because I recognize it as "faux C."
B, likewise, is difficult with zero additional help from subsequent notes. I have songs which I associate with B, such as a Jewish song I learned in middle school or a recorder song I learned in elementary school, but those are usually only after the fact-recognition, and not before the fact-recognition of the note's identity.
The sharps were providing me with a great challenge for quite a while since so few songs begin with them. And then I discovered that the first three notes to "Lilium" are F#, step up to C#, and step back down to G#. And now it's easy street. ;D
Anyway, hopefully I won't need these training wheels much longer, and I can sit one of those exams and answer the questions just as quickly and accurately as my friends Garrett and Lydia can. But until then!
Thursday, July 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment