Tuesday, June 16, 2009

LeVar Burton's Star Power

Somebody online today reminded me of this gem from our childhoods:
Part 1
Part 2

I decided to thumb through some other videos Youtube was recommending and I discovered this: LeVar Burton sings at Diggnation. I have no clue what "Diggnation" is, but I'm guessing it's Digg.com's equivalent of Youtube's stupid get-together. Anyway, stupid or not, they appear to have good taste in inviting LeVar Burton ... but wait, what's this? He's going to be singing the Reading Rainbow theme song? To a crowd of 20-somethings? Oh, no! D: How is the crowd going to react when a kid's TV show host with poor pitch attempts to sing his own TV theme song? They're gonna ...! They're gonna...! They're gonna ...

... lap it up, apparently. XD

Just goes to show you two things:
(a) LeVar Burton has some major "cred" or star power with our generation, the kids who grew up loving him on Reading Rainbow (and those others of us who loved him on both of his 1990s TV appearances :)), and
(b) you gotta get to the kids while they're young! XD L-O-L @ how impressionable children are. I don't think I've heard a group of college kids shout this loudly except at real rock concerts. Even at presidential election rallies the cheering was never this raucous. Just ... wow! :) They love him! I love him! We all love him! ... and we don't even know the guy! XD

It's just like that one Youtube commenter wrote: "wow, Reading Rainbow made him like a rockstar lol."

1 comment:

Jay said...

LeVar is dreamy! lol sorta. He has a huge following on twitter. I think he's hosted a few twitter meet ups too.