Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Another Reason To Hate Teen Gamers

Not all of 'em. But a lot of 'em. lol

A few days ago, I wrote a blog article on games that would showcase professionals playing through games for the purpose of maximizing the customer's (i.e. my) enjoyment over time. It would make a game like Final Fantasy become the film / visual novel it was always meant to be. Same for a whole host of other RPGs. Wind Waker? Enjoy the story, say buh-bye to the annoying "now where do I go next? *head scratch* *waste 2 hours sailing to 4 incorrect islands and to the correct island but failing to do open the sealed door in precisely the manner the game demands of you*" gameplay.

My friend Keith writes:
Your "commercial play through" idea exists... http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/14/new-super-mario-bros-wii-future-titles-will-play-themselves/


Click the blog article title to read on! :)

I respond:
Sweet! Too bad every punk with internet access responding to that article seems to think it's a horrible idea. :\ I hope Nintendo and the other companies IGNORE THEM while listening to me. What are these kids moping about? He's not proposing making the games *just* auto-play! He's suggesting including both in the same package! It's perfect.

lol @ the kids who invented for themselves this notion that "last time I checked, games were about the challenge." Games have always been about entertainment. Period. When challenge ceases to be entertaining is when games do, too, and Miyamoto is offering us a way around that dilemma. Shut up, twerps, and let the man work his magic! :)


Keith responds:
it all depends on much discipline you have, its kinda like having a cheat book that comes along with the game. Sure, Mario is fairly linear and we all know the main objective, get from point A to point B so theres no confusion there. But lets think about another game, perhaps Zelda or Metroid, which has puzzles and varying strategies to each stage. Lets say you get stuck, how long do you persist until you say screw this, I'll just watch the game auto play itself.


I respond, lengthily:
But that's not my nor anybody else's problem: that's that individual kid's problem. That's what I would unapologetically tell him: "it's not my problem that you play a Zelda dungeon run for 5 minutes, give up in frustration, watch the game do it in Auto-Play, and then after watching the game do it become filled with regret, hating yourself for being so weak and wishing you could turn back time and try it once more for yourself."

Let me put it another way: these kids are saying, "I hate Harry Potter Movie 7 spoilers! Nobody should be allowed to talk about Harry Potter 7 until I've seen the movie! Because if they do talk about it, I'm afraid I can't keep myself from doing a Google search and reading all the juicy spoilers." This kid would have us delete GameFAQS.com because "the existence of those walkthrus is too tempting for me to ignore, but I have self-esteem issues every time I cave in and use one of 'em. So since I can't control myself, you don't get to have 'em either." Wth, kid.

Now on the other hand. Let's say the kid says to me, "Oh yeah, Mister? Well right back at you! It's not my problem you don't have time to figure out the puzzles on your own!" All I can say to that is, he's being a petulant child to force his standard of living onto my own. I'm a med student. I have books to study, patients to attend to, things to get done! If and when I do have time for R&R, if it's a video game that's mostly about the story (like Final Fantasy or Zelda) I would MUCH rather watch the game auto-play itself and grab some popcorn and a blanket and watch it like a movie than I would stumble through the same obtuse puzzle 10 times over because my carpal tunnel doesn't let me execute the button combo as flawlessly as I have to, and I keep falling into a pit and dying and being sent back to a spawn point that was 10 minutes away from where we just were.

If he thinks it's "fun" and "challenging" to waste 50 minutes of your 1-hour R&R break walking from Spawn Point A to Final Destination B, then good for him.

Me? I think it's a big waste of my time, my teachers' time, and my patients' time. Let my 60 minutes of R&R be 60 minutes spent on the story, and not 10 minutes of story for 50 minutes of blah. And any twerpy teen who wants to tell me, "NOOOOOOOOOO! >O If you make the games like this it'll ruin them for meeeeeeeeeeee!" can get real. :P I'm very unapologetic about this point: because I'm sick of people trying to force themselves onto others.

Is Miyamoto axing the kid's game style in favor of mine? NO! He's letting us BOTH have what we want. He's letting the kid game *and* letting me watch the movie-game play itself. If he doesn't like that? TOUGH SHIT. :\

Rant over. :)


For the record, Keith and I aren't arguing. I'm arguing at the non-present 3rd party (the brats on Joystiq), and he's just playing devil's advocate. I'll let Keith say more on this if/when he wants, but thought I'd clue you in first for those of you who don't know Keith well. (Especially since we may have two new readers! ;D Time will tell.)

Anyway, thoughts? Opinions? Concerns? Do you agree with me or disagree with me? Are you like the Joystiq kiddos who feels that auto-play is going to compromise the games' integrity for you? If so, tell me why!

4 comments:

hiero said...

What a fantastic feature. I love it. I've often found myself stuck in a game, and after a while I'll grow tired of trying. I'd rather progress through the game to further the plot, not be stuck in a filler side mission or a maze of some kind (aka SSE in SSBB final level -_-;). That's only one great reason for this.

The other being that I, too, wouldn't mind turning auto play on on Zelda, kicking back and enjoying the more cinematic feel. I imagine I'd rather want to play through the game first and then do this, or have two files, one to watch, and one to play.

Anyone who bitches about this being stupid or ridiculous is dumb. If they don't want to use it, then don't use it.

Also, on a side note, this could mean no more looking up Walkthroughs on GameFAQs!

SuiginChou said...

Heh. :) Maybe! But I imagine that there will always be a need for GameFAQS.com until Nintendo and the other companies cover all of these bases (and then some!):

- speed run tutorials (e.g. for Metroid Prime)
- strategy guides (e.g. a Chun Li guide, a Ryu guide, and a Ken guide for Street Fighter 4)
- hard core tournament-style playing (e.g. HGSS :D, lol, you know this only too well! :) )

But you're absolutely right that if the idea catches on then it does mean the end of the line for "Point A to Point B to Point C to ... Point Y to Point Z" walkthroughs. :)

hiero said...

Exactly. I imagine this could be considered the first step into something much bigger.

I also wonder if maybe they will include this feature in some of the GameCube remakes on the Wii in the future?

It really feels like with adding features like this, Nintendo is trying hard to reach out further to the much more casual crowd. But yeah, I fully expect this feature to be in the next Wii Zelda game, for sure.

SuiginChou said...

If it is? I rescind the comment I voiced aloud to myself this very morning while in the shower -- I will purchase the next Zelda game after all. (This morning I noted how I'd not bought a single solitary Zelda game since TP and I planned on not ever buying another Zelda game again until Nintendo got its act together. Sick and tired of grinding on stupid-but-necessary piece-o'-heart and wallet upgrade side quests when I'd much rather sit back, relax, and let the game do it.)