Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Unchained Melody

Jay, this one's for you.

My friend Jay wrote a while back about his frustration with people's intolerance for effeminate men / masculine women. In that same blog update of his, I wrote a lot about my frustration not just with this but also with how people tend to gender-classify certain books, songs, films, etc. and thus if a non-effeminate man expresses interest in these, people will still conclude that he is either closet effeminate or else closet masculine-but-still-gay. Our society seems unwilling to allow for the masculine man to like bands like ABBA or books like Dr. Zhivago -- despite the painfully obvious contradictions (e.g. ABBA was 50% men and Zhivago was penned by a Russian man).

So having said that, I'll go ahead and say that I L-O-V-E this song. :) I know it's just a matter of time before Youtube takes it down, but still: Unchained Melody, performed by the Righteous Brothers, repopularized by the film Ghost.

I don't see what's so feminine about this movie. I think it's just as romantic for men (sympathizing with the main character) as it is for women (sympathizing with Moore and drooling over the main character). But what the hell do I know, huh? ;p

No comments: