The 21st Century sure is shaping up to be a technologically-governed Hell. How long before this gun falls into enemy hands? How long before this gun is as easy to mass produce as luxury cars? It doesn't matter who invents it first: the fact of the matter is that it's going to be invented and its going to further usher in an era of global slavery. That's my cynical assessment, anyway. I mean, Jesus Christ: one mile away!? You could be walking down the beach with your girlfriend when all of a sudden her head's blown off and you feel blood trickling down your head from where your left ear should be -- and all because some sick punks rented a boat, took it three-quarters of a mile out to sea, and opened fire on you. To put it another way, guns like this mean that world leaders are no longer safe from being sniped unless (literally) a 1.0-mile radius from their present location is constantly cordoned off by the Secret Service and nobody exists within the one-mile radius except for the President, some Secret Service guards, and whomever the President's talking with.
Not to be such a downer ... I mean, I LOVE and am always inspired by scientifically-cool stories like this. I love to see Mankind defying the odds, defying the limitations of his mortal coil, defying space, time, and life itself, but ... shit, man. Shit. The atom bomb is cool scientifically but ushered in the Cold War. And I fear that a gun like this, while an awesome engineering feat, will prove to be something we all resent in twenty, fifty years time.
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment