Sunday, January 11, 2009

2channel's Nameless Guardian Angels

Amid my flurry of books I want to read or re-read, manga I want to read, games I want to complete, shows I want to watch, and studies I want to study ;p , I'm considering revisiting Densha Otoko in the near future.

In the meantime, here's one of my favorite songs from the series.

I think it's accessible to everybody, but it will guaranteed make you teary-eyed if you've seen the entire series and have Pavlovianally had this song drilled into you in association with some of the most tear-jerking, nail-biting, or awe-inspiring moments of the series. (For an Episode 1 spoiler example, here. [Context: it's his 23rd birthday and the worst day of his life.] For a towards-the-finale spoiler, here.) The name of this song is 名無しさん . Literally "Mr. Nameless," it's the Japanese word for "Anonymous" and is the ubiquitous default username on the Japanese imageboards 2channel (on which Densha Otoko's true story took place) and 2chan (the Japanese predecessor to America's 4chan). In the show Densha Otoko, the anonymous members of 2channel are Densha's loyal supporters. They provide him with advice, encouragement, and support. Towards the climax of the story, they even privately take advantage of their positions in life (as a railway conductor or a crop duster or a celebrity) to help Densha achieve his goal of confessing his love to Hermes. They are truly his guardian angels.

No comments: