Or at least it feels short after being able to prune out so many huge swaths of filler.
Official Storyline-Seasons: (bold listings are the required viewing)
Season 01 - episodes 001-040 - Duelist Kingdom
Season 01.5 - episodes 041-049 - Rebecca (041-042), Cyberworld (043-045), and Duke Devlin & Dungeon Dice Monsters
Season 02 - episodes 050-097 - Battle City Part 1
Season 03 - episodes 098-121 - the Noah Arc
Season 04 - episodes 122-143 - Battle City Part 2
Season 05 - episodes 144-184 - Waking the Dragons + Ep144 (a dumb recap episode)
Season 06 - episodes 185-198 - Grand Championship
Season 07 - 199-??? - Dawn of the Duel (Millenium World)
Season 08 - ???-224 - Ceremonial Battle
Official episode tally: 224 from 8 storyline-seasons
Corrected episode tally: 136 from 4 storyline-seasons (40 + 48 + 22 + 26)
By deciding to skip over Seasons 03, 05, and 06, I am now ready for Episode 199. Just 26 episodes to go until I achieve closure for YGO! :D
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
There's now Yu-gi-oh 5D's which returns to the same sort of feel as the original, rather than the childishly-themed GX.
I had no idea. I had thought 5D would surely be even worse than GX and never even bothered to investigate.
But to be perfectly honest, I watch Yu-Gi-Oh for three characters (and their respective plot devices):
1) Ryou Bakura. Label me "a Bakura fangirl," I think this character is simply fascinating. The phantom-thief inhabiting the Millenium Ring is one of the best malevolent villains in the history of anime (he's oh so much like Heath Ledger's anarchic Joker!), and as for the innocent boy whose body the evil spirit inhabits, he's such a tragic victim in all of this. Which sucks me right in.
2) Atem / Yami Yugi. I'm watching mostly to find out what exactly Atem did 5,000 years ago in his fight against Zorc that caused both of them to be sealed away but neither of them to be destroyed. I also find this character immensely fascinating because he hides from little Yugi and the others the sad truth that he plans on departing from them -- nay, must depart from them -- by the end of the series. See the fourth and fifth paragraphs of this blog update for a solid explanation of my take on Yami Yugi and why I find him so fascinating (even if my guess is incorrect, and the real reason Atem says good-bye is not because he wants to but because he has to. Somehow, I doubt this, and my theory is substantiated by clues from the episodes which focus on Atem's awkwardly depressed and distant interpersonal relationships with Tea/Anzu and Joey/Jounouchi. One gets the impression from the Yugi & Tea date episode that if Dan Brown was to watch Yu-Gi-Oh he would peg Atem for Jesus and Tea for Mary Magdalene. The point is, even if I am waaaaay off-base wrong, this is still my theory and a big drive for me to keep watching.)
3) Seto Kaiba. His is perhaps the most mysterious to me because (unlike Ryou and Yugi) the identity of Kaiba's previous self remains mostly unknown to me. All I know is what the show has told me and what it is evident from the OP/ED video sequences: that Kaiba was the Pharaoh's #1 sorcerer, that Kaiba "betrayed" the Pharaoh by challenging him to a duel but that neither did he give his allegiance to the evil Zorc, and that Kaiba had who appears to be a lady love who died but gave up her spirit to become the Blue Eyes White Dragon (hence why it is Kaiba's destined card).
In a distant 4th place, we have the Dark Magician, whose true identity, like Kaiba's lover from his previous life, is none other than a major supporting character -- the original wearer of the Millenium Necklace. I am definitely looking forward to witnessing his fight against Yami Bakura (if there is one). And I guess I'm sort of curious to know who the Dark Magician Girl is, too, although she seems like a thrown-in-at-the-last-second fluff character to mirror the Dark Magician.
In fifth place, there's Shadi. I remain convinced (though I may soon be proven wrong) that Shadi has been alive for 5,000 years courtesy of the magic of his Millenium Ankh (which is an Egyptian symbol associated in the Yugioh universe with conquest of death). It would make a lot of sense considering (a) Shadi is the only character whose eyes are glazed over at all times, hinting that perhaps he has been under the influence of some sustenance spell for the last 5,000+ years and (b) he is the only person who recognized Yami Yugi as the pharaoh on first sight (Season 2, when Shadi first infiltrates Kaiba's blimp). Where most characters struggle to tell the difference between Yami Yugi and little Yugi, Shadi not only could tell the difference immediately but recognized the spirit of the Millenium Puzzle as his pharaoh. I could be reading into it, of course, but he seemed to have an intimate knowledge, one of personal recognition. I am hoping to be proven right on this, and it's another reason I keep watching.
Humorously enough, I could care less about Zorc at this point. lol To me, he remains a faceless "evil entity with the power to destroy the entire world" character. Pretty plain and cookie-cutter, not very exciting. Just like Marik Ishtar. -_-; (At least Pegasus was amusingly effeminate!)
Post a Comment