Saturday, December 6, 2008

The Longest URL Ever

The Story: I was on Facebook just now and they had an ad on the side that says (quoted, typos and all):
Anime Manga Survey
We are conducting a short survey for men interesting in anime manga. Give your opinions on sports and more and you could win $1,000.


I thought, "Hey, cool, finally, an ad that's at least SOMEWHAT relevant to my interests without being pornographic." But before I clicked, being the savvy and somewhat paranoid individual I am, I right-clicked on the hyperlink instead and told Firefox to copy the address to memory so I could paste it in the Address Bar myself and decide if I thought the site was probably going to be safe or not.

And so, without further ado ...

The URL: http://www.new.facebook.com/ac.php?i=6002236773135&meta=AAAAAQAQJFrjqvwVgZ_ycGrCkfE_QgAAAt3qNBdTsAwFtNnFo3Np48BMrS5n1lJNiGKbSfQ9WpPNud6atW9XaDQ_nTN-NPA4xQvw3qgd6vnkiNtMnJNXfy8FQ1Iqp3z3BGed0oDBI8C6w1Wvp0Rg3rXVvCOAgWGTkm8mktxEVn1J2YdyiBfg-tI1YUj4qSAN05LfRgVUdd4FcTMBsTgoIJnGLBiemqIFpBk3gxsXl3wcdops2CeGUWHLwTong8ktAkKaHhlYU2rsG5TX5kQur-CQxQ-XhNpx7ey2STJPAV__dQsmerojBxQcwMGYNdjQnKhpXdKXJg737YVS32eX3QgQsqcseAF15E55qy3jOQG_K51o3f3n3WFWBbT00oNjR0JyodnzoEdmwqAjImL-el0hgSdv99tsyZerchsK-g9JUrbhpIpBSilSb0uwe900brMDMZhw6HbA7-xCjCxUokog2oKOhP9YCDioWcbskVth5wPAwcv8sZoD80-3oV0xXDroV35dpmCSf4Rq9p4eHdvAQ-wyWSqugD7AwZg12NCcqLVeT1k8h3oRt4u-udh9B-OmFhii9Pto3ho8fFV_NI768gkQPDQRATyMMT5hP6V1PZWKJ-8qsc8l8U4ZUtFuTQAAzQ6yQB6TkEBEOsxKV1ca-5k7Gpxa3t9-9ERFYg-Mt9D35TCR6NsRuv_mFZiark3ka1wdyAGQ_MWVB9KcqIRo5nr6YLEG86Onw6GxgWUvmYr7-HpMvEDj5nr6YLEG86N8tRadxEkAyG6QO-xI5wx_4x1I4fg31umcinIXET4BfpEkHdsIpn2DnPjQ1QAkiP5-0vpAJLrtDiqJF64SJmKaCGT2BxktUIh3ilo5mrJpUfjczfIM6A8Ahw9FJDKlzJtM30dMU8UMei7Ud5qM_Pus8qksdNWKbzxQ8dYTd8yJbh4GMvPGRegojID0DPilQutj8apTycl0MOdE-C1oXek99KIQ9KHgKZ3rDAf5lOMjOI-AMEsvfKwU

The Concession: are there longer URLs? Surely. Are there longer URLs that I encounter on a yearly basis? No. This is pretty obscenely long.

2 comments:

Lunar said...

http://hugeurl.com/

Also, I have some Firefox plugins you may be interested in, if you don't already have them. First there is Adblock Plus, which gets rid of almost all ads. Then there is NoScript, which blocks ALL scripts from running until you specifically allow them.

The last one is Flashbock, which blocks unwanted flash modules from running.

With Noscript, you can feel safe visiting any website. Then, after you feel that it is safe, you can allow the scripts on it to run.

SuiginChou said...

I know I have two of those, but one of them (somehow) became incorporated into the body of the beast itself and no longer shows up in my Firefox Add-Ons window, even though he know he's still there because he's the reason I:
- never have to sit through commercials on websites like South Park's or SNL's
- never see interstitial ads on any sites like a message board or an imageboard

AdBlock Plus may partake in the 2nd role somewhat but I don't think he's responsible for the first one. And by the way, yeah, Adblock Plus is the other of the 2 of the 3 that I have, and he's the one who I know I have.

I will look back into Flashbock and Noscript and see who I have, who I'm missing, etc. Thanks. :)