Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Tuna on Hiatus :(

I've been going to Subway ~3 times a week ever since Matt scared me out of drinking Pepsi and eating fast food. ;p :) I'm grateful to him in many ways; but I only wish that weight loss could have been one of the things I could be grateful to him for! Because unfortunately it's true what they say: dieting is no substitute for exercise, not even when you remove 1500-2000 calories from your daily intake. I was xyz lbs back then, and I'm xyz lbs now.

So imagine the mixture of pleasant surprise and of disappointment that I must have felt when I discovered that Subway's foot-long tuna sandwich, the one I order about twice a week from Subway, has got 1200 calories in it without the mayo, and another 300 or so with!

Heartbroken. The tuna sandwich is my favorite, and the only reason I don't eat it more often is because of a fear of mercury poisoning. (Twice a week is my self-imposed limit on tuna, with three times in a week being a seriously adhered-to max.)

I had been so proud of myself for only ever ordering these sandwiches: 1) the tuna, 2) the turkey, and 3) the Italian. And with the proportion being ~66%, ~24%, and ~10% for each of them. (Like I said, tuna maybe ~twice a week every week.)

Jesus christ. The tuna had about as many calories in it as Moe's nachos. :( Okay, maybe not as many, but still. :(

Tuna's being bumped down to a once-a-month luxury, and I am now forced into paying $6.67 (rather than $5.35) much more often than I would like to for turkey sandwiches.

2 comments:

Mack Ramer said...

You should try the sweet onion chicken teriyaki, a 6" on wheat is about 350 calories iirc.

You said "dieting is no substitute for exercise" but the reverse is also true. I think I've told you before about the Nova where they took fat people and got them in shape for a marathon -- they all finished the marathon, but none of them lost much weight because they didn't change their diet!

You should try Weight Watchers if you really want to lose weight. It motivates you to both eat right and exercise.

Lunar said...

I love Subway Tuna sandwiches. I always get mine with a large drink and a pack of Doritos. I usually only do this about once a month or so, so they do not cause me to deviate from my ideal weight of 160lbs.