When I told Ben C. that I was interested in going to Chicago some time before medical school resumes (Aug 25) in order to look for Chinese-style clothes, a proper mahjong set, and possibly (with any luck) some Japanese items like a futon and some zabutons, he showed some interest. We'll see if it happens or not.
Anyway, talking about Chinatown made me realize how much I wish we had a Little Tokyo in the MidWest. Sadly there isn't even a Little Tokyo in New York City! The only "Japantowns" in the United States are all on the West Coast. It makes sense both pre-WW2 historically (the Japanese crossed the Pacific and settled mostly in the West) and post-WW2 historically (the internment camps were all out west and the released Japanese re-settled in the western states rather than attempting to move back east). Also, as I learned at Purdue, the percent of Japanese amongst the Asian population might be analogous to the percent of Cubans in the Hispanic population in the USA. They exist, but there are more Mexicans (Chinese) and Puerto Ricans (Koreans) than Cubans (Japanese). And just like how Florida breaks that claim for Cubans, so too do Washington and Oregon break it for Japanese. And it makes sense: people emigrated to seek out a better life, and Japan has long been the socioeconomic pearl of the Orient. You put all these facts together and it adds up to America having a tiny Japanese population who are mostly concentrated on the West Coast and therefore no Little Tokyo in Chicago.
Can any Chicagoans confirm or deny for me just how big Chinatown is in Chicago? I know not to expect San Francisco but I am expecting something bigger than 4 city blocks (i.e. bigger than 2 city blocks wide by 2 city blocks long) and I'd like to have that optimism crushed before I hit I-65 rather than after. Also, does anybody know if Chicago's Chinatown carries all manner of Chinese goods (clothes, furniture, antiques, food, music, decorative art) or is it just an oversized, overglorified Chinese grocer's market?
Wednesday, July 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I know where Chinatown is, but I've never been there. I could tell you how to get to it via the CTA from any point in the city, but that's about it :)
If you were to come up to see Chinatown I'd gladly go there with you to check it out.
I've been recommended by coworkers to go see Chinatown, if that helps at all.
It does. :) It's small help but welcome help.
Matt, I originally wrote something about your suggestion in the main body but it looks like I opted against submitting it along with other comments for sake of space. Suffice to say I wrote:
- that I would be happy to introduce Ben and/or Andrew to whoever else shows up
- that we all (total) or Chicagoans and me (excluding Ben and/or Andrew if they wish to do their own things) could hang out for however long we wish to
I brought this up at dinner with them last night. Ben is still interested but says he has no idea what, if anything, he would want to buy in Chinatown and would probably just be coming with me for the adventure. Andrew hadn't heard of the plan till just then, so he's thinking about it.
You should come when Greg is in town. I think he arrives around 15 August.
Also, if you brought a swim suit we could hang out at the beach. There are some pretty kickin' beaches not far from Chinatown.
My cousin's wedding is either August 15 or 16, one of the two.
Is that cousin Jennifer?
Her sister. (Sparing names for privacy reasons.)
Post a Comment