Monday, June 2, 2008

A Reminder to Drive Safely

I was ready to cook lunch at 12:48pm today when I realized I only had one scrawny clove of garlic left. I had already thawed (and even accidentally semi-cooked) the imitation crab. I even had the butter in the pan! (Oven was still off.) So I decided that instead of scrapping this lunch plan I would just drive to Kroger really quickly (it's ~5 blocks from my house) and get some more garlic.

On the way there, one of the roads I needed to take was completely corralled off by police cars. Frustrated-angry, I grumbled as I pulled up to take a left turn now instead of the necessary right. But my anger pretty much vanished when I saw not a mere fender bender but a completely destroyed silver car and a 1/4-destroyed red car. The silver car was facing me, meaning it span a minimum of 90° from the impact (possibly 270°, possibly more). I had no idea who was at fault, but it was clear to me that two families were not having a good day.

My somberness amplified once I finally did get to Kroger by means of a backroad. Parked at the next-door Dairy Queen was an ambulance. I realized that they wouldn't be parked at Dairy Queen if they had someone from the car crash onboard, dead or alive. But I still thought to myself, "Y'know, it could have been worse. It could have been that that ambulance wouldn't be parked there."

I drive across that intersection all the time. That could have been me in the car wreck. That could have been me in the ambulance. This was a good once-every-once-in-a-while reminder that I should be grateful I have a home, a car, and a working body and mind.

2 comments:

Lunar said...

"My somberness amplified once I finally did get to Kroger by means of a back road. I realized one of my friends actually has to work in a place like this."

;)

SuiginChou said...

I realized you had to actually work in a place like Kroger when I tried starting a conversation with the 15-items-or-less checkout aisle cashier. But that's another story.