Saturday, September 15, 2007

Communication Breakdown

I need a PS2. NOW.

Xenosaga 2: the game I've been obsessed with -- but never completed -- for over 2 years now.

Communication Breakdown: one of the most gorgeous melodies in the Xenosaga series.

Seriously. It's not funny anymore. :\ If somebody has a spare PS2 lying around that they're not using, I will *gladly* offer you $20 to be allowed to rent it w/o having to return it until January 1, 2008.

I say this partly because I really want to finish Xenosaga, and partly because I'm tired of obsessing over the games w/o even knowing how good (or bad) they play out compared to the first one. I've heard such mixed reviews, from my friend Ben saying how awful the third one is to half of the Internet saying "the 2nd one sucked but the 3rd one was the best of the three." All I know is, I loved the first one, and I loved the STORY of what little I got to play of the second one.

9 comments:

Lunar said...

Communication Breakdown is not that good. I can't believe it got so far in Gamingforce's 2005 Best [VG] Song Contest.

SuiginChou said...

Bah. :p Anyway, I decided to put a selection of my top Xenosaga musical choices from the first two games into a folder: hello.

Listening to the vocal version of "Sakura" makes me tearful. :( It's such a beautiful but tragic relationship between Sakura and Rubedo -- the daughter who couldn't live outside of an artificial dream world, and the creation who could never grow up.

Man, I need to get me a PS2. >_<

SuiginChou said...

By the way, what do you think about Fatal Fight? Is that more to your liking, Namek? Or is it that, too, "one of Kajiura's lesser works that fans gush over too much"?

What's your favorite Kajiura song? I think mine would still have to be, after all this time, "Yasashii Yoake", the ending themesong to .hack//SIGN.

SuiginChou said...

Rubedo and Sakura
Here's the original scene. It's a bit of a plot spoiler if you ever plan on playing the games, but ... I'll *never* forget when I reached this point of the second game. It adds a tragic layer of complexity to Rubedo's relationship with MOMO.

Other scenes, in chronological order but with tons of scenes skipped here or there ...
Albedo mindfucks MOMO (Xenosaga I)
KOS-MOS busts out the heavy-duty artillery to rescue MOMO
Rubedo regresses to his past self, Part 1 of 2
Rubedo regresses to his past self, Part 2 of 2
End of Xenosaga I
Why Albedo Began to Go Crazy (first of the Xenosaga II videos linked here)
End of Disc 1
First of Disc 2, last thing I saw in Xenosaga II

Lunar said...

My favorite Yuki song is probably Canta per Me. Simply beautiful. Beautiful female vocal harmonies and a violin to boot.

Fatal Fight is OK.

Also, check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFTrhpUuOGc

Fast-forward about half-way in. (You know you're in the right spot when you hear a disembodied voice say "Fear not, princess of Dalmasca").

SuiginChou said...

I love Canta Per Me, but I can only listen to it on rare occasions because it's one of those songs I'm often "in the wrong mood for" and at those times I actually *dislike* it. Kajiura's greatest weakness (as I see it) is that she's too repetitive; if you're in the right mood for the melody, this is a blessing because you get to experience "multiple aural orgasms," but if you're in the wrong mood, then it's a curse, sort of like a record that's stuck on Repeat and grates on your ears.

I attribute my love of Canta Per Me, Salva Nos, Himitsu, and Love (four Kajiura songs from Noir) with my interest in the artist in 2004 which was greatly boosted by watching .hack//SIGN that same summer.

You know ... I think part of the reason why I love the vocal version of "Sakura" so much is that it reminds me of "Love." Hard for me to choose which is the better of the two ... emotionally, it's no contest (Rubedo x Sakura >>>>>> any interpersonal relationships from Noir :p). The acoustic guitar and soft, pseudo-Japanese singing is really quite pleasant.

Regarding the Youtube url ... that had nothing to do with Yuki Kajiura music, right? The music in the background was sparse and inaudible and not really impressive; you're just showing me that because of our AIM convo, right?

Lunar said...

Of course it was in reference to our AIM convo. I want to know what you think of these gods and their views on humanity. For the record, I agree with their basic assertion that humans are too ignorant and misguided to run their own history, but I don't agree with their might is right methodology and heavy handed punishments. If I were in their position, I would use my great power to lend a gentle helping hand to guide the wayward humans onto a more prosperous path.

As for Canta per me, I'm always in the mood for more of it. But that's just me.

Speaking of music, I got the Ever17 OST. So far it has been very nice and easy to listen to. I get the distinct perception of water and bubbles while listening to some of the songs, which makes sense given the setting.

SuiginChou said...

I also acquired it recently from MegaUploads; as such, I was told I can't download anything more from them for 400-some minutes (around 8 hours). This was one hour ago, so ... seven hours to go.

I'm pissed because I already had one of the two songs I liked from the game, and so I was downloading this just for the 2nd one ... but that song (Karma) IS MISSING THE FIRST 0.5 SECONDS AND YOU CAN TELL! >_< It sounds really, really broken! Pisses me off so much. :\ Oh well.

Lunar said...

My copy of Karma is fine.