Monday, July 20, 2009

Super Driver

Awesome. Click the title for commentary.

Can't say I care for the first 43 seconds of the video, nor for the small segment where Haruhi is arguing/fighting with street signs. Other than that, the video rocks my socks off. Love the physics part. (Remember: show/hide MAJOR first season spoiler
Haruhi is like God, if not God himself, and controls everything in the Universe from time and space to probability to life and death. Hence the relevance of the physics in the opening. Very, very classy way of juxtaposing hardcore physics with the high school happy-go-lucky kids frolicking about to this pop-rock opening theme song.
) Love the Wonder Years home video feel of Haruhi forcing various students at school to do her dance on camera. Love the group running -- especially Mikuru ^-^. Love their line-up shortly thereafter, topped off with a sighing, facepalming Kyon. Nice. Very nice. It ties with the original series' opening, which I also liked only certain bits and pieces of but for which those bits and pieces I did like totally made the opening special to me.

As for the song? I love it in its entirety. Usually I get one melody from a song stuck in my head, but this one's got two different pieces which both are catchy as all heck. The one is the (beginning of the) chorus, which begins at 0:44 with the words "super driver." The second is either the only bridge in the world I am a fan of or else the end of the chorus proper (I can't tell), beginning at 1:03.

Why blog about this today? When the show's been out for weeks now? (6th episode came out just the other day.) Because the single for this song hit the 'net today, that's why. ;p Inevitably, I'm gonna listen to this song over and over until I no longer recognize it. Same phenomenon as what happens when you say a word over and over and then suddenly you don't recognize the word as being a true English word anymore.

Also, I felt bad about weirding out my readers who abhor hentai. Sorry guys. ^^;


Hey Jay: I'm reminded to remind you to watch this show if you haven't already. The first season, I mean. If you clicked the spoiler, you'll know why, but whoops. If you didn't click the spoiler, the suffice to say: the show's main draw should be right up your alley. It poses a question to the viewer I've often thought about myself, and one I'm sure you must have as well. show/hide

"What could happen, or what do you think would happen, if an omnipotent being were to become bored with life?" The simplest answer is willed non-existence, but the fun and more complex answer delivered by this series is selective amnesia, i.e. God know longer knows he is God, his powers only work without his knowing that they do, and his desires are kept within reach but are never allowed to reach his hands. By keeping them in reach, he keeps striving for them and does not throw in the towel. By never reaching them, he never can grow bored with them, as surely he would were he to ever obtain them.

Specifically, the show begins with the seemingly-harmless premise that there is a girl, Suzumiya Haruhi, who desperately longs to meet aliens, time travelers, psychics, and other supernatural beings. She creates a club whose assignment is to find these beings and to have fun with them. Foolish though this goal may sound, Haruhi inadvertently makes good on it the moment she creates the club -- for her club members are none other than a time traveler sent from the future to investigate Haruhi's role in time travelers' inability to go any further back in time than 3 years ago, an alien sent from a faraway galaxy to investigate Haruhi's role in a data bubble which formed 3 years ago, and a member of a telepathic organization here on Earth whose powers only came to them out of thin air but 3 years ago.

In other words ... this seemingly-normal girl wished to meet these characters, and the very people she recruited for her club to help her find them are them themselves. Unbeknownst to her. Importantly so. Because, were she to find out that they were who they are, it'd be Case Closed, Mission: Accomplished, and boredom would soon again set in.

And what happens when God gets bored? He wipes the slate clean and starts anew.

The common link? "3 years ago." The theory? God created the current universe 3 years ago. In his mastery, he created it such that its denizens believe they have existed for longer than this. That their civilizations have existed for much longer than this. But the truth is that their memories of events prior to 3 years ago -- even the memories of their very own lives -- are merely fabrications put into place by God when he remade the world.

The challenger to this theory? The show's protagonist.

No comments: