Thursday, June 18, 2009

"Your Honor?" Family and File-Sharing

I've found myself in quite the dilemma these past few days.

01. My cousin is a big fan of Phoenix Wright. So is her husband.
02. They're also both judges.
03. I sent her a fanmade-MIDI-to-MP3 version of one of the songs, but it was only 90% or so similar to the original game in terms of its timbre, etc.
04. She was so happy, and said she'd use it to surprise her husband.
05. I recently found a 320 kbps version of the actual song ripped from the NDS cartridge.

The dilemma is, do I send her the better version of the song before she springs her playful trap on her husband, in order to maximize the experience for them both? Or do I not send it to her, since she's a judge? Would I be getting her into trouble? Would I be getting myself into trouble?

Then the more general dilemma occurred to me: how do I even broach the subject of downloaded music files with her? How do I find out in a non-obvious way what her personal practices and beliefs are surrounding music piracy?

Sigh. Anyone else have family in the legal system? Ever had something like this come up? Where you wanted to send 'em a file you downloaded but couldn't out of fear?

2 comments:

Sean said...

She alone couldn't necessarily "report" you, as it takes a complaint by the person who's copyright has been violated for any sort of action. She could choose to ignore the source of the mp3 without really any worry. The worst that could really happen to her is if someone found out she had received downloaded goods and was presiding over a case regarding downloading copyrighted files, forcing her to recuse herself. But that scenario is... far fetched at best.

hiero said...

Hmm. Well, it's up to you really, but she's happy with the fan made version, right? Maybe you should just leave it at that for now, and if the situation arises again, maybe give her the real thing? I don't know.