Sunday, May 31, 2009

Slow on the Uptake

I ... wow. On the one hand, I feel a bit embarrassed to have not noticed this sooner. On the other hand, I'm proud of myself for not noticing it until only just now. Hell, I'd even already seen the episode from which this snapshot was just taken, but I happened to be thumbing through it to find a particular scene when ... yeah. Wow.


This is Zork, the ultimate villain in the Yu-Gi-Oh universe, the one which the nameless pharaoh who stole shares 20th Century-Yugi's body is said to have sealed away thousands of years ago. Zork resembles Bakura's kaa spirit (or rather, Bakura's kaa spirit resembles Zork) but for the fact that Zork is purple instead of white-gray and is much larger. Much, much larger. And ........ goddammit .......... I guess that increase in size goes for his snake-tail too. Except now it doesn't look like a snake tail anymore, especially since it's always facing the same direction as Zork's face.

I can't believe I didn't notice this sooner. Click the title for more pictures.


This is a picture of Zork fighting Exodia. You can better appreciate from this picture that while the snake may seem to be growing out from Zork's front side, it's actually a hyper-extended tail. Actually, I take that back: you can't tell from this picture XD (it makes it REALLY seem like Zork has a massive snake for a penis), but take my word for it that the snake is a tail which has curled forward and under Zork's groin to face in the same direction as the body's main head. This'll all become clear when you look at the next picture.


Here's a picture of Diabound, Bakura's kaa spirit. If Zork is Satan, Diabound would definitely fill the role of Lucifer. It's a rather hideous creature with its massive snake-tail, tiny second pair of wings, and miniature head, but the off-white hue is really an odd pick for an evil monster. He almost looks the part of a serpentine angel, really.

1 comment:

Jay said...

It's SYMBOLISM!