Sunday, May 24, 2009

Charles in Charge, Animaniacs

Two humorous observations from opposite ends of the American television censor spectrum. A short blog update, but click the title to read it.

1. Charles in Charge's lyrics overly self-conscious?
I can't help but to laugh at this every time I hear it now as an adult:
The new boy in the neighborhood
lives downstairs and it's understood
he's there just to take good care of me
like he's one of the family.

Sung by a young-sounding adult woman makes this only more inappropriate, but I'm guessing the folks over at HQ decided it'd be even riskier to switch the singer to a kid. Seriously, though: how do these defensive lyrics not make you think of an inappropriate relationship between tenant and homeowner's daughter?

The thing is, I think I'm on to something because the singer in the original song sounds a lot less mature than the one for the syndicated version. Coincidence? I think not!

2. Animaniacs gets away with much worse
Skip ahead to the last joke on this Youtube video. It starts around 1:50.

I didn't even get the joke until I read it in Youtube's comments section. For those of you who are innocent-minded like me, the #1 joke's punchline is that Dot is hearing Yakko say "Finger Prince." I totally would have never gotten that, and would have remained forever confused by Dot's reaction and Prince's peculiar grin.

1 comment:

Jay said...

I saw that Animaniacs clip on collegehumor and could hardly believe it. lol.