No More Hentai
A colleague online likened this to 40 days in the desert, but I would hardly compare giving up all sexual activities for the next month with the feats accomplished by the Bible's biggest giants. Nonetheless, giving it up I shall do. My inspiration is the largely-celibate Zhuge Liang.
No More Anime
Yesterday or two days ago, I came to a depressing realization. It bears a lot of similarities with my realization in the 10th grade that I no longer cared to watch the Pokémon television show anymore. This one's the realization that I am pretty much done with acquiring new anime for now. It's not because I'm tired of anime as a medium, but rather because I have a huge backlog of promising stories in other media which I have for far too long been placing on perpetual hold so that I might watch the newest fluff piece from Japan's cartoon studios. So it's with a sad, gentle letting go of my hand from its that I part ways with anime for now. Maybe we'll meet again soon. (Very, very probably if you ever make Rozen Maiden season 3 or Haruhi season 2. lol)
No More Weblog (Like This One)
I read somewhere one to two weeks ago that the way to get the most out of your blogging is to blog about a specific topic. (Actually, I think the advice was for Twitter ;p , but the same logic applies here as well.) The writer suggested that if you want to teach and learn from a community of readers about a common interest, you've got to blog about that -- and that personal "diary-style" blogs will never cut it because the only people who will bother to read those will be your friends, and even they will dwindle in numbers as they axe off your blog for specialized haunts of their own. (Too true! :( ) So I'm considering letting Mujou slide for a bit -- not shutting it down, but probably not updating it much at all either -- as I consider what it is that I would like to blog about and how I intend to get the word out that my blog exists. Do I want to blog about something controversial? Do I want to blog about something practical? Do I want mine to be about a biased platform? Things to think about.
Redesigning Pokémon
I've got to look into this one more closely, but I've shared some ideas for proposed changes to the Pokémon games and all of the suggestions have met with overwhelming approval. When I ask myself, "Wouldn't it just be easier to ask the Pokémon Company to implement these changes themselves?", I come to the disappointing conclusion that they can no longer implement many of these proposed changes -- or have shown us through four generations' worth of releases that they would be loath to do so -- because a great many of them propose to change elements of the game which have their origins with the original two titles. So I've decided that since the changes are so core and so numerous, it almost becomes a question of creating a completely different video game franchise -- and therefore the only way I'm ever going to see this game in the light of day is if I make it with my own two hands.
Obviously, this is not something I can afford much time to during my busy weekly schedule, but it's something that's been on my mind a lot lately and I've asked myself, "If BioWare can do it, why can't I?" Furthermore, I have zero interest in learning how to code to make this game. My role in production of such a title would be that of "planner." I don't know what you call a video game project's lead planner -- lead designer? producer? No clue. Anyway, this one's a bit of a stretch, I'll give you that. ;p
Shadow of the Colossus
I won this on eBay recently and it arrived on my doorstep a few days ago. All I'll say is, this is without a doubt one of the coolest, most awesome cinematic experiences I've had with a game in years. That stated, the plot is paper-thin and oh-so-predictable (or at least I think it is; still haven't beaten the game yet) and while the
Pokémon Diamond
True to my word, I'm going to be modding a copy of Pokémon Diamond so I can get back into the swing of playing these games without selling my soul to Satan. Translation: what takes Joe Average 1600 hours to accomplish shall take me 16 minutes. >D Bwa ha ha ha! To those who cry "FOUL! >(", my solitary defenses are: (1) I wouldn't play if I couldn't play like this so cut me a break, and (2) I'm hoping that this'll let me still be a "gamer doctor" who can relate with the kids at Riley's. And by "relate," I mean that while the other doctors spend 5 hours trying to learn how to cure Timmy's leukemia, I'll spend 4 hours doing that and 1 hour by his bedside playing Super Mario Kart Xtreme Turbo Edition 2. Seriously: too few students realize that medicine is more than scientific healing. You've got to earn the patient's trust, and you've got to make them want to live and cherish life. Religious or not, life's just not worth living anymore when you've got no friends, when you're a burden on your family, and when you're in chronic pain. It's up to the physician to not just manage the pain in your body, but to brush away the cobwebs in your heart, too. Kids need friends in the hospital as much as they need physicians: and I want to be both.
That stated, I still hate pediatrics. XD SCREAMING BABIES EVERYWHERE! lol
Oh, I got side-tracked: so yeah, I got Pokémon Diamond, but the funny thing is ... none of my modding stuff's shown up yet. (Wuh-oh!) So I've actually been playing through Diamond legitimately. lol I've got a Level 42 Infernape (with shitty effort), a Level 43 Haunter (ditto), three HM whores, and an untrained Cranidos just because I don't like having a five-person team. lol
Apartment
Fairly clean.
Philosophical quandry for the day:
What is your gut instinct reaction towards the saying "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"? And what is your reaction to it after I let you think about it for as long as you'd like?
Personally, I think I speak for most of us that we've had it ingrained into us that this is a sage saying; but when I chewed it over along with my nachos for lunch this afternoon, I couldn't help but wonder that the saying has got to be like poison to half the planet, since it seems like the planet is split right down the middle as to whether people should mind their own business or whether people should right others' wrongdoings. Indeed, this saying seems to be very, very pacifistic -- to the point that it would not allow you to say something "not nice" to a genocidal maniac.
1 comment:
I've had at least one friend who has voiced some kind-hearted concerns regarding this blog update, so let me address a few things in greater detail for the entire audience:
Regarding the 40 days: This is seen by me as a fun, personal challenge. I'm not ashamed of my sexual preferences/behavior. I am inconvenienced by it -- greatly -- insofar as it distracts me from superior things in life (e.g. finding a soulmate, studying more, becoming better at things I want to become better at, and having fun with other things), but that doesn't mean I dislike hentai. This is something I'm doing just to prove to myself that I can do it. And -- this morning is Day 3 (i.e. 48 solid hours have passed since anything of that nature), so I'm on track so far. If last summer's any indicator, the first 5 days are the toughest. After that, it's really not much of a problem.
Regarding the anime: I'm not giving up anime the way Jozef gave up video games in 12th grade. (lol) I love anime still. I intend to probably watch a good many of the animes I own on DVD in the near future (e.g. this summer). My point was that no NEW animes are worth my time compared against books, films, and video games that I'd rather be exploring. For example, if someone told me that the spiritual successor to Shenmue had come out, then I'd have to be a fool to not play that game and instead opt to watch the newest anime series. Because most of the new animes these days are rather forgettable. They're fun to watch in the here and now but they don't stick with you. Not ALL of them (e.g. Kaiji which I love, and Minamike which I dearly love, both came out in Fall 2007), but the majority.
Regarding the blog being abandoned: my friend's concerns were actually spot on the money here. I am informing you guys that this blog might be abandoned in favor of splitting it into 4-5 micro-blogs. In other words, rather than blog about video games, medicine, religion&philosophy, pop culture, and various other things all on one site and force you guys to sift through a bunch of rubbish you don't like to find the one thing you do, I'm thinking about making a blog that's JUST about the shows I'm watching, or one that's JUST about games, or one that's JUST about Japanese, etc., and that way you can pick and choose which blogs to read and which ones to not read with solid confidence that you're not missing ANYTHING of importance (to you personally) if you never check one or more of them. For example, if you're someone who has no interest in anime, and I promise to keep all of my anime stuff on one specific blog, then you'd never ever miss out were you to not bookmark that blog and routinely check it.
Post a Comment