Sunday, March 29, 2009

Carpal Tunnel?

So it finally happened: after years of gloating to friends who typed much less than I did or gamed much less than I did about how I didn't have carpal tunnel while they did (yeah, what a jerk, I know!), I had some free time available Friday evening to take a break from the usual and to have some solid hours of fun. I set up the PS2 that Andrew got for me off of Craigslist for $40 (have I told you guys this story yet? Probably not ...) and popped in Dynasty Warriors 6, figuring I'd be better able to put this one down after one or two hours of gameplay than I would if I were to pick the Xenosagas back up from where I left them off in late February.

Boy was I wrong! (Click the title to read on.) Before I knew it, my nauseously-hungry stomach pulled my eyes away from the screen at an appropriate time to check out the clock, only to realize in mixed bemusement and horror that it was 8:30PM. Then, like a fool, after eating a very quick make-shift dinner at home, I went back to play some more. But! Thirty minutes in, my left wrist (palmar side, lateral/radial, very close to the radial "bump" you can feel on your own wrists) ... well, my left wrist started to hurt. It felt like a pinching pain. Not pinching skin, but (were it possible) pinching something much deeper. It was like a cross between a painfully-acute pinch (like when a lady with long fingernails pinches your skin between them) and a dull "claw-pinch" (like when you grab hold of a stalk of celery with your hand and clench a fist around it). Fearfully aware of what it was, I put the game down, did more important stuff, and retired to bed, my wrist still hurting.

I woke up Saturday and my wrist felt fine. So, I decided to play until lunchtime. Again, I got carried away; and again, my wrist started to hurt some time in the afternoon. I put the game down, did work, and my wrist pain went away after several hours.

I woke up this morning and both wrists were in slight pain, with my entire right hand in a weird double-state of (1) the normal "pins-and-needles" paresthesia you feel when you sleep on your hand or sleep with your wrist reflected dorsally all night) and (2) the clamped-muscle pain from the two previous days!

You wanna know something funny? It's gone away while I've been typing on your guys' blogs and Facebook status updates. lol

Conclusion: I probably have the beginnings of carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists, but (curiously) it only manifests itself when I play with the god-awfully poorly-designed PS2 controller for too long and not when I type or play with the Wiimote or XBox 360 controller.

Conclusion #2: I am in the market for an XBox 360 controller-to-PS2 console adapter. Any such thing exist? ^^;

2 comments:

Jay said...

I used to get such bad carpal tunnel from playing the piano. I still do sometimes, especially from a real piano.

SuiginChou said...

See, this is what's so weird about mine, if even it is CTS in the first place! First, it happens in my left hand, not in my right hand; but, I am a right-handed person! (The one time it has happened in my right hand, as described, is the day when I woke up after having slept on it or something.) Second, mine is not instigated by piano, keyboard, or other activities where one's fingers are roughly in the same plane as his wrists and arms. Third, for my left hand, it seems to be almost entirely triggered by overuse of my thumb: a digit not commonly used (by me, anyways) when typing or playing piano.

All these factors added up make me wishful-thinking hope that my thumbs are just weak and are experiencing "no pain, no gain" growing pains from being used a lot more than normal. But I very seriously doubt it myself :p , and think I'm on the downward slope towards hand pain. :(