Saturday, March 21, 2009

The $100 Vandalism

So, I finally signed up for eBay, I am disappointed to say. I did it for a PS2 (GASP!) only to learn from my buddy Andrew that he'd bought me one off Craigslist for just $40, taking the risk upon himself, testing it at his apartment, and (upon seeing that it appears to be fine) asking me if I'd be interested in paying him $10 a month over the next four months, free to quit at any point in time should the PS2 break, and gaining full and exclusive ownership over it once I pay the fourth and final installment of $10 to him (should I do so).

So, that all being stated, I just found a great candidate for my hollow book project (see relevant blog update) and bid the minimum $0.99 to get it. The bid (duh) has 0 bids so far except for mine, and the crazy thing is:
- shipping to Lafayette zip code = $4 (he's right next door in Ohio)
- the book (I won't say what it is specifically since that'd completely blow the surprise) is well in excess of a $100-value

So the question is, if you were able to win a century-old book for just $5, would you have the heart to vandalize it for the purposes of making a treasure stash? or would you consider that in and of itself to be far too great a crime against humanity? and would you therefore enshrine the book, defeating the very purpose for which you bought it in the first place?

No comments: