Monday, February 2, 2009

Why I Dislike American Football

I realize I broke the vow already, so here we go: brevity!

The only player to ever really get me excited about watching football has been Troy Polamalu. He is pretty much the only reason I cared to watch last night's SuperBowl. I spent most of the night in a room with no TV discussing science with Andrew, but I did catch snippets of the game here or there in the first three quarters, and I caught the last 20 minutes or so of the game. From what I saw, and from what I was told (with regards to the portions of the game I missed), Mr. Polamalu did jackshit nothing. In fact, I was there to witness him being not the first, not even the second, but the third defender trying to catch up with the Cardinals' (whoever) who scored that touchdown three minutes before the end of the game.

Long story short, football has never really excited me except for this one guy, and last night he put on a lackluster performance -- in the game to end all games! (As far as American football players are concerned, anyway.) Sigh.

4 comments:

Lunar said...

I just don't get the whole football thing. Which puts me in an extremely small minority, because down here in the south, everyone is big into that sort of thing, it seems. The worst ones are the near-fanatical Bulldogs fans.

Jay said...

You should watch tennis. Nadal ftw!

Keith Mck said...

Football is human chess. I know the play you are taking about where Polamlu is catching up to the Cardinal's wide receiver, Fitzgerald. This was less Polamalu's fault and more brilliant play calling by the Cardinal's offensive coordinator. He saw that the two Steelers safties were playing deep so he sent his two sideline receivers to out post routes, which lured the safties oustide, leaving Fitzgerald open down the middle. Now you might ask why Polamalu didnt go toward the middle? As in chess, every play has their own tendencies and the Cardianls exploited Polamalu's tendency to jump infront of the first wr he sees, which unfortunately for him was not the main receiver.

SuiginChou said...

Thanks for the band-aid, Keith. :) I don't know what I'd do if I lost Polamalu. ;p :) But in all seriousness, he was great fun to watch in '04 or '05 but not so much fun to watch last night. :\