Monday, February 23, 2009

testing


Let's just repeat the same line 10 times.
Let's just repeat the same line 10 times.
Let's just repeat the same line 10 times.
Let's just repeat the same line 10 times.
Let's just repeat the same line 10 times.
Let's just repeat the same line 10 times.
Let's just repeat the same line 10 times.
Let's just repeat the same line 10 times.
Let's just repeat the same line 10 times.
Let's just repeat the same line 10 times.

Hmm. It would seem that Jay's advice only half worked for me. I've been able to mutate the blog as follows:
  O you can now click on the title to read the full article
  X but you can't do as he said and have there be a link that says "CLICK ME!" or some such to achieve that effect. All of my attempts failed.

I like it personally (see the blog update above for a good example of its usefulness), so HERE'S AN OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: FROM NOW ON, TO READ THE *FULL* BLOG UPDATE, LOOK FOR THE FOLLOWING INDICATORS!
  1. a hyperlink redirecting you back to the same article, or
  2. a tag like This blog update contains more text in Expanded Mode. :) or some such

I may dispense with #2 once I'm confident that the readership has gotten used to telling apart abridged blog updates from unabridged ones.

5 comments:

Jay said...

getting code to work can be mind-numbingly frustrating. Remember to make sure you've enabled post pages (I think you probably have already) http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=42049

Also, I think you are probably using layouts (which is the default blogger setting), not classic templates, so just copy and paste that code only.

Finally, if all else fails, I've found that moving the code around in the template sometimes helps, although usually it should still be within the confines laid out in the tutorial.

SuiginChou said...

What the tutorial says should exist for Layouts in Part 2 of 3 does not exist, and my attempts to place the code in various places (in Head, in Body, here there everywhere) did not work, so meh.

To be honest, so long as the core functionality is there (and it certainly appears to be) and is glitch-free (which only time can tell us), then I'm happy. I'd rather have it say nothing to you guys than say "Read more!" or "Continue here" or some such. It also allows me to indiscriminately use the code multiple times per blog update, i.e. I can do this now:

1 [2] 3 [4] [5] 6 [7]

You see by default: 136
You see expanded: 1234567
You would normally have seen by default: 1Read more!3Read more!Read more!6Read more!

My way is better, I think, than the tutorial guy's. XD

Mack Ramer said...

If you switch to Wordpress, you can use its very easy "More" tag which creates a link that, when clicked, loads the text behind the tag without loading a new page.

Mack Ramer said...

Here's an example I put on my blog http://undegaussable.wordpress.com/page/4/

Mack Ramer said...

Well I guess it turns out that it doesn't load the extra text without loading a new page. I have seen it done with WP but have never tried it on my own blog. I assume it's possible with the free WP but perhaps not.