Big Bird and Barkley get stranded in Japan, and if you go to 4:30 on this video, you'll witness an uncomfortable scene in which Big Bird takes his frustration out on Barkley.
The thing is, it's awkward watching it now: (a) as an adult, but more importantly (b) as someone who understands what they're saying in the background
Like the "ohayou"/"Ohio" gag. That was something I remember finding funny when I first learned the word in Japanese 101 way back when. I mean, it is funny, right? But not when you've heard the joke a bajillion times. >_<
Actually, what made me most uncomfortable was watching the polite discomfort on the Japanese volunteers' faces when the Barkley puppet and his puppeteer kept invading their personal space.
But I thought it was pretty cool that Sesame Street gave kids so much credit back in the day that it actually attempted to teach them a kindergartner version of 竹取物語 (Taketori Monogatari, "The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter"), something I read in my junior year of college. (Because I had the reading skills of a kindergartner, I suppose. XD) Still! It's a famous legend. Pretty cool, pretty cool. :)
4 comments:
I remember watching this as a kid
Everyone else says so, but I sure don't. :(
The thing is, it's awkward watching it now:
(a) as an adult, but more importantly
(b) as someone who understands what they're saying in the background
Like the "ohayou"/"Ohio" gag. That was something I remember finding funny when I first learned the word in Japanese 101 way back when. I mean, it is funny, right? But not when you've heard the joke a bajillion times. >_<
Actually, what made me most uncomfortable was watching the polite discomfort on the Japanese volunteers' faces when the Barkley puppet and his puppeteer kept invading their personal space.
But I thought it was pretty cool that Sesame Street gave kids so much credit back in the day that it actually attempted to teach them a kindergartner version of 竹取物語 (Taketori Monogatari, "The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter"), something I read in my junior year of college. (Because I had the reading skills of a kindergartner, I suppose. XD) Still! It's a famous legend. Pretty cool, pretty cool. :)
I just remembered that this video taught me how to count to three in Japanese. "Itchy knee san shee!"
Er, I guess that's four, lol
Post a Comment