Sunday, February 8, 2009

Back Home Again in (Sane) Indiana

Okay, just throwing this out there: I was at dinner the other night and I was struck out of nowhere by the (re-)realization that I haven't seen a single crazy person in my personal, daily life since Summer 2004 when I left Pasadena. That is to say, the only times in my life that I have ever seen crazy people, period, have been:

a) in works of fiction (books, movies, television)
b) in interviews where I'm not there (Oprah, Daily Show, etc)
c) in academic settings (like when we went to Lafayette's psych hospital to interview patients)
d) at least once a week every week so long as I was in Pasadena

I miss SoCal in many ways, but I gotta admit that one thing I love about Indiana is, for whatever reason, the apparent absence of crazy people roaming the streets. I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing (e.g. it's not a good thing if the reason for their absence is that the Mechanical Hound is on patrol ;p), but it sure is nice to be able to go out for dinner and not have to worry about being scared for one's life as a crazy-eyed man in suit and tie screams at his Burger King chocolate pie, "WHO'RE YOU LOOKIN' AT!?"

No comments: