PlayStation 2 memory cards, 8 MB each x 2 cards in the package: MSRP of $35.99 as of January 23, 2009 with an Amazon.com price of $32.96.
Sony PlayStation Portable memory card, 4 GB each x 1 card in the package: MSRP of $44.99 with an Amazon.com price of $40.96.
SanDisk Memory Stick Pro Duo, 4 GB each x 1 card in the package: MSRP of $46.99 but successfully purchased thru Amazon.com for just $16.
So if we compare the MSRPs alone, then Sony's PlayStation 2 memory cards are grossly overpriced by a factor of 512! In other words, one would need to spend over $18,000 to get 4 gigs' worth of PS2 memory.
If we more accurately (and damagingly to Sony's corporate credibility) compare the real market prices and not the manufacturer-suggested retail prices, we see the factor balloon twofold, from 512 times too expensive to 1125 times too expensive.
Understandably, at $4 per gigabyte (if we interpret the pricing from the $16 4 GB memory stick pro duo example of SanDisk's), the real market value of a Sony PS2 8 MB memory card would be a measly 3.125¢. That's right: for less than a nickel, I ought to be able to purchase the memory contained on an 8 MB card. Realistically, the actual value of the card is closer to 50¢ or perhaps even $1 as we have to account for costs that relate to physical substances (plastic, copper, etc) and not just the storage capacity alone; and we must also include for shipping and delivery costs. But in any event, $16 for one 8 MB stick is just far too outrageous.
Question: be it legit or be it not, is there a memory stick pro duo-to-PS2 memory card converter? i.e. could I hope to find a device which, Game Genie-style, lets me plug a memory stick pro duo into a Sony PS2's memory card bay?
Friday, January 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I know, seriously! I've been needing to get a new PS2 memory card for a long time, as the one I have now is 6 years old and bound to fail sooner or later, but I just haven't been able to bring myself to spend that much on one.
Thank goodness the PS3 uses it's HD for save file storage. This is much more secure, longer lasting, and makes it much easier to put other people's complete save files in your system. >:D
Same reason I haven't bought one and can't save games. Stupid Sony. All the hardware makers gouge when it comes to game accessories though, whether it's Nintendo's controller add-ons or Microsoft's ludicrous prices for wifi adaptors and hard drives.
Post a Comment