Saturday, January 24, 2009

Brevity, Brevity, Brevity!

The last blog update reminds me of a few things:
1) nobody, self included, likes to invest all that much time in reading any one blog update
2) you can always explain things in greater detail to people later, if and when they prompt you to do so
3) for those occasions where you cannot wait, you may do as before
4) but those occasions, you must admit, are few in number!

So:
1) an apology to the readership for this abuse, and
2) a renewed pledge to try and blog briefly.

3 comments:

Lunar said...

No need to apologize, I'm actually looking forward to reading through it all when I get the chance.

Jay said...

So then...shouldn't the title of this post just be "Brevity"?

I can't remember if it was you or someone else in high school (college?) who pointed out that if Thoreau really believed in simplicity, then why didn't he just shorten his famous line, "Simplify, simplify, simplify!" That snarky observation has always made me laugh.

SuiginChou said...

I was not a big fan of Thoreau, so I may or may not have been the one to say that. (As a hater would hate, but as a lover would know Thoreau best.)

In high school, I often quoted Shakespeare's "brevity is the soul of wit," and then one day Mrs. Fendley pointed out to me that Shakespeare was being cheeky with that line, as the character who speaks it is a long-winded man himself.