Friday, December 26, 2008

Which engineer do you want to be?

This week's Friday Image Macros thread (would have been #3) will be postponed until next week because (a) I don't expect turn-out the day after Christmas and (b) I myself haven't collected many new images in the last week that weren't anime fanart or some such. Despite this, I am using the "traditions" label for this blog update.

Today, I'll pose a question for you guys, and you write back as short or as long as you would like: if you could be any one kind of engineer with the snap of your fingers, which would it be and why?

Some samples include: chemical engineer, mechanical engineer, biomedical engineer, electrical engineer, computer engineer, civil engineer

If you would like to be a certain kind of engineering professional (e.g. roboticist) but you cannot pick one field (e.g. "one-man robotics" requires proficiency in electrical e., mechanical e., and computer programming), try to select the field which most interests you (e.g. see my answer ;p).

6 comments:

SuiginChou said...

I am torn between mechanical engineering and electrical engineering. I love EE theory (e.g. as it applies to circuitboards, laying down cables, etc) but the aspect of robotics I am most interested in is AI (which has less to do with EE and more to do with systems analysis and computer programming) followed closely by the actual building of a robot (which has much more to do with mechanical engineering, i.e. designing working limbs and facial muscles which accurately mimic or surpass human movement, depending on what our goal is).

If I had to choose? >_< I think I would chose mechanical engineering. But it's a hard choice to make, especially having never taken a single course in either MechE or EE at college. >_>

Mack Ramer said...

Fungineer.

Jay said...

Disney imagineer!

Actually, a bioengineer splicing together dna to make glow-in-the-dark kitties is pretty awesome. Also, I suppose all the potential for disease control and cures is a plus...

Lunar said...

I want to be a cyberneticist.

I guess that's not really an engineering field per se, but whatever.

SuiginChou said...

Same idea.

Unknown said...

If you wanted to be an engineer, why didn't you do it? I love being one. I don't ever get to use it, but I still love being one.