Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Stone Mountain Memories

Blaise recently visited Stone Mountain and I told him:

"I think I've mentioned this before [...], but I've been to Stone Mountain (in either late '91 or early '92). I think I went in January, and so I don't think it was this green and beautiful, but I remember the knowledge of seeing the three Confederate soldiers engraved on the mountainside. (Didn't know what "Confederate" meant then as a 6 or 7-year old boy, and I don't have a visual memory of the mountainface now that isn't 100% unconjured fictitiously.) What I do remember from the mountain trip was the gift shop, where I distinctly remember:
a) getting rock candy, and
b) getting a table of 16 minerals and gems with actual mineral samples glued to it. It included, as I recall, a purple amethyst pyramid, a cubey piece of gray opal, and a glue-coated bit of sulfur."


Well, here is that table:


This story impresses me for two reasons:
1) it reminds us all what a very small world we live in. Blaise and I are friends separated by hundreds and hundreds of miles yet at different times in our lives we have stood on the same mountain, gazed at the same mountain, been in the same gift shop, etc. It's not quite the same as me and my best friend having both climbed Mt. Everest, but you get the idea.

2) l...o....l at the fact that I was a little boy from Indiana who had traveled all the way to visit his godmother's mother in Atlanta, Georgia and of all the gifts I bought in the giftshop, where should this one have come from but Corydon, Indiana!? Ex. Eff. Dee. xfd Again, I remark: what a small world.

3 comments:

Mack Ramer said...

Corydon, of beloved memory from fourth grade history class, where it starred as the former capital of Indiana.

Jay said...

You're back! I collected so many rocks when I was young. I bought polished rocks from museums, geodes from science stores, pebbles from the seashore, and I even chipped and saved slivers of mica from "Indian Rock," a huge stone monolith behind my house. Believe it or not, I even tried to sell rocks --just ordinary, cleaned up rocks-- on a stand by the side of the road outside my house. I actually sold one rock for 25 cents to a woman who would later become our real estate agent and family friend.

Lunar said...

Yay! Talon's back! I look forward to more funny and interesting updates!