Wednesday, September 10, 2008

MWHSWOM

One of our teachers is quietly, but openly, homosexual; and while she never brings up homosexuality unless it's absolutely necessary, there are certain times where she says things that seem very matter-of-fact and "why are you making a big deal about this?" to me but which I then realize as I look around the classroom, if I should look around the classroom, are indeed shocking to others and that she is bringing up because she realizes that there are a loooot of (sheltered?) kids out there who have misconceptions about sexual behavior patterns.

The title of this blog update is one such example. Rather than ask a patient their sexual orientation (hetero-, homo-, bi-, etc), she's taught us that it's much better for both the patient as well as for obtaining an accurate medical record to ask them about their sexual practices ("Do you have sex with men, women, or both?"). "MWHSWOM" is an extended acronym for "men who have sex with other men". She has a 3-letter variant that I can't remember right now but which she uses all the time when we discuss symptoms of "misplaced venereal diseases" (e.g. gonorrhea in the mouth or chlamydia up the butt).

The most recent example of this teacher's practice and my bemusement at my classmates' naivety was when she informed us, quite somberly and as though we were hearing this for the very first time in our lives, that men in monogamous relationships with women may engage in anal sex. My response? "Duh."* Several in the class, on the other hand, seemed surprised by the news that men and women have anal sex together. Whether they were surprised by the concept of women "pegging" men with strap-on dildos or whether they couldn't even wrap their heads around men fucking women in the butt using their normal anatomy, I don't know, but I didn't get much time to consider it because the teacher rolled right along with, "And you shouldn't restrict this line of questioning to men -- women engage in anal sex, too." Again, my thought was "DUH", but somebody in the class wasn't on the same planet as me: because they seemed to question why or how women would engage in anal sex. The teacher didn't get to respond**: somebody near that person noisily whispered an answer which, while I can't remember exactly what it was**, gave me the impression that while he was able to grasp the concept of women putting things up their butt, he believed that only homosexuals do this. That is to say, he gave me the impression that in his world-view the only people engaging in anal sex are gays and lesbians and that anal sex is a deviant, homosexual practice.

Absolutely boggles my mind. I don't know whether I should consider myself "well-educated" or hopelessly perverted by the sheer volume of hentai I have collected and read. I'm certainly different, I guess that much is clearly established. Maybe more doctors should read more Japanese doujins? (I kid!)

* justification edited out for sake of space
** I can't remember for sure what he said, but "With a dildo!" is a sufficient example.

9 comments:

Jay said...

When I learned in early high school that straights were having anal sex, I was floored. To hear conservatives talk about it, you'd think it was the most vile, dangerous, and even un-pleasurable experience imaginable that only gays engage in out of desperation and because they hate god. Being a young naive, I pretty much bought into the argument and found myself stuck. On the one hand, vaginas were off limits because I found them disgusting and I didn't like the body to which they were attached. On the other hand, I found myself attracted to guys, but almost equally afraid and disgusted by anal sex. It's still a problem, but much less so. I reasoned that if those hypocritical straights liked it, there must be something to it. And then I read case studies about the prevalence of the act, the safety of it, personal stories, and the discovery of the so-called male g-spot and my anxiety was put to rest.

But man, those stinky, fishy, hairy, disease filled traps called vaginas? I don't know how anybody could like those. ick.

:)

SuiginChou said...

Shit doesn't come out of a vagina.

Issues of disgust put to the side, my major problem with anal sex is damaging or being damaged. I don't want to damage others, and I don't want to be damaged myself. And don't give me a lube schpiel because you know full well I know all about the (many) techniques that (Japanese) people use to facilitate anal sex. There's still no perfect solution.

Of course, 99.9% of hentai depicting anal sex depicts it as being uncomfortable, even painful at first, but rarely is blood shown and even more rarely (in fact, I don't know that I've ever seen) permanent deformation. Reality is not quite so kind.

SuiginChou said...

If by "a year or two ago" you mean "back when we were in high school" + "just so long as we're clear that Ryan will always be a novice compared with me! ;p"

As a comparison, if our friend George told us tomorrow that he was in fact gay, would we treat him as a "newb" to homosexuality? or would we recognize that the man tells us he's been gay for some 10 years and therefore probably knows a littttttle more about being gay in America than the 13-year old self-discoverer?

Y'know, I felt really guilty writing that 2nd paragraph -- because I feel that (especially in my writing) homosexuality is the tenet of the new Godwin's Law. I should really find another group in society to draw correlations to, like .....................

I'll get back to you on that.

Unknown said...

I'm fairly certain that everything you said there, Jay, was wrong on so many levels. You have scrubbed my mind of sanity and filled my mouth with bile. Bravo!

Jay said...

mission accomplished! lol

SuiginChou said...

I don't see how any of what he said is "wrong on so many levels." His reply was identical to a kid's trying to gross you out of kissing by mentioning snot and vomit.

SuiginChou said...

Also, he skirted the notion of a prolapsed cervix with the whole top/bottom thing but clearly wasn't gunning for that in the end and was boringly making a joke about vaginas being downstairs but at the top of a list. Boo urns!

SuiginChou said...

Yes, I'm being rather harsh. But I don't see what all the fuss was about.

R said...

I remember kids in my grade school asking QU's about anal sex during sex ed. But then again, I went to Catholic schools.