Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Expired Soumen Sauce

I only signed on to dump some pictures from my digital camera and cell phone and am logging back off right as soon as Blogger processes this update, but I remembered this and thought Blaise (and possibly others) would get a kick out of it.

What you're looking at is an expired bottle of Japanese dipping sauce for soumen noodles. Soumen are another kind of noodle (you've probably heard of udon or soba before) and are meant to be served cold (as in iced) and eaten with a soy-based dipping sauce. They are a popular summer treat in Japan and I was pleasantly surprised when I saw that Pay Less (i.e. Kroger) had soumen and soumen sauce in stock. While the noodles were fine, the sauce bottle was covered in dust and ... well, I think the picture speaks for itself:

2 comments:

Mack Ramer said...

I recently found a jar of peanut butter, unopened, in my parents-in-law's house... its expiration date was 2005, which (judging by most PB expiration dates I've seen) means it's at least four years old!

Lunar said...

A lot of lazy or incompetent stockers have a very bad tendency to simply shove items on the top shelf to the back when stocking more of the same item.

I, of course, never did this. It is easy to simply get on your stool and put the new items behind the old ones. In fact, the top shelf items are the *easiest* to keep rotated because there is no shelf above them to hinder your access to the back of the shelf.