Before I bunkered down to study, I had started to watch a show called Itazura Na Kiss. (Not very good, honeslty.) Anyway, in this week's episode's translation notes the team clarified what 'orienteering' is. Sounds like one of those awesome sports where (for real) "everyone's a winner" because even if you come in last place you still had a lot of fun and got to do it yourself. I mean, I can't imagine: they took two of the most traditionally-hated sports -- running (tiring, boring) and hiking (tiring, uncomfortable) -- and turned them into something that everyone loves -- effectively an obstacle course (to get from Point A to Point B you'll have to hazard "this!") merged into a sequential Easter Egg hunt (where finding one egg gives you a clue to the next).
Let me just say, don't reply saying running and hiking are fun, not hated, quite popular, etc. You know full well what I mean when I say running is not popular as compared with basketball, tennis, swimming, etc. People run. Many people run. Perhaps running is the sport with the most "members" who participate daily in it. But that doesn't mean that the public consciousness has a positive image of the sport. When you tell a kid, "Just run around the gym," that's 1000x less fun to him than saying "Here's a bat. If you hit that ball, you then run to as many of the bases as you can without getting tagged out." Hitting balls and competing is fun. Running in circles in a room or on the street, not so much.
LET'S ORIENTEER! :D I'm actually half-serious about this. If enough Indy people show interest in this, let's get together some time this summer and do it. I'd be happy to be the guy who sits out the first time and chooses the locations around town where the clues for each sequential location will be placed. Invite your friends from home / family. Or not. :p I know apathy abounds these days. And some people even have families and jobs. XP~~~~~~~~~~~~ ;)
Monday, June 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment