Monday, June 23, 2008

The Ghost of Haircuts Yet To Come



I went to Great Clips today to get a haircut. I had gotten a #3 last time (an almost-buzz, leaves 0.5") back in April. While my hair was actually growing slower than normal (I was at maybe 1.25"), it was still getting to the point where I needed to comb it or at least tousle it. And that's fine, but in the summer? when you can go around with a buzz and not feel like people think you're either bald or a skinhead? Not on your life. Gotta get the buzz.

So I went to get the buzz, feeling sometimes like "this is such a kids' haircut :p" and other times "wow, bouzu, Japanese girls would totally L-O-L at you with this haircut ;p" (the term for the buzzcut in Japan refers to the Buddhist monks with whom the style is associated; vide the Dalai Lama's hair style). But all the same, I was sure it'd come out fine.

Well ... lol.

It's not too bad, per se ... but ... yeah, lol.
  1. I had no idea I had so many zits/red blemishes of unknown origin on my scalp. And they all show through now!

  2. I could feel the sun on my scalp. It was pretty bizarre. I don't think I've gotten the full buzz treatment like this since ... I dunno, high school. I had completely forgotten what it felt like to go outside on a summer day with a buzz. I'd be afraid of getting sunburn if not for the fact that I'm always indoors.

  3. People (at least in the supermarket ;p) treat you differently in a bad way. I went straight into Kroger after getting my haircut and I noticed that nobody smiled at me (not that people always do, but to get no smiles when you make eye contact is pretty noticeable pretty quickly, let me tell you). I noticed that the cashier treated me like I was an idiot, even though nothing at all happened -- I put down my groceries, handed her my Plus card, paid in cash, and headed out.


I know that I'm paranoid and hasty when it comes to these sorts of conclusions, but ... I can't help but think that people thought I was some sort of Nascar redneck or something. Fat. White. White t-shirt. Buzzcut. (And the white t-shirt was only so I could come home, shower off the bits of hair that get into your clothes and on your skin, and put on a proper different shirt!)

Anyway, it's a half-fun half-uncomfortable haircut experience. Fun (easy to wash!) and exciting (BOUZU! XD) on one hand, anxiety-building (redneck image?) and uncomfortable (in the sun) on the other.

*sigh* One of my main reasons for getting the haircut was to see "how I'd look (almost) bald" since my receding hairline's not showing any signs of improvement. My conclusion? The buzzcut makes my pudgy head look even more pudgy (boo) and the zits are really god-awfully unattractive (boo). I'll need to lose the weight and the unaware-of-till-now zits before I can go bald, I guess. Or I can always just look stupid. ;p

3 comments:

Mack Ramer said...

If you didn't want people to treat you like an idiot, you should have thought about that before getting an idiot's hair cut :P

Jay said...

Looks good to me. I love buzzcuts. I just got mine buzzed two days ago. Unfortunately, I have two rather large, hideous moles above my ears on both sides of my head, so I can't go any smaller than a 6. :(

Lunar said...

It looks fine to me! I always get a crew cut when I go to my barber. It's easy to clean, doesn't need combing, and looks good to boot.