Sunday, March 2, 2008

Alumnot

I just got a phonecall from the Purdue Alumni Center (I presume that's what **4-9259 matches up with) that went like this:

1- "Hello, Ryan ... [insert one of the worst attempts to say my last name I've ever heard]?"
2- She asked me if my permanent address was still what it is.
3- She asked if I wanted Purdue Alumni letters to go to my IUPUI e-mail account. I said, "No, send them to my Purdue one."
4- She asked if I had a student alumni e-mail account yet.
5- I told her I'd held off because I still had my Purdue e-mail as a student.
6- She asked if I wanted to upgrade.
7- I told her, "No, I'm still a student at Purdue."
8- She asked why I was in their records system.
9- I explained I had graduated from Purdue as an undergrad, but that I was still at Purdue in the capacity of a graduate student via IUSM's relationship with Purdue University.
10- She laughed (sounded pretty embarassed, dunno why) and told me, "I'm sorry, we shouldn't have called you."

I thought that last bit was pretty funny. Shouldn't have called? I don't see why not -- I am an alumnus, even if I'm also still at Purdue as a (graduate) student (and am really an IUSM medical student). But it was then that I remembered how she'd sounded like a telemarketer at the very beginning of the phonecall and how I could have sworn I had heard other phones and people talking busily in the background ...

... she was trying to get some cash out of me! lol For those who might be confused, Purdue gets over 50% of its money from alumni donations. When I say "its money," I mean everything -- scholarships, fees, everything. The state of Indiana cut back funding and they account for less than 20% of the school's income now iirc. But yeah, 51% I believe is the precise figure the Exponent (Purdue's student newspaper) quoted recently for how much money comes out of alumni's pockets. And here's the funny part -- they have a strict policy against trying to get money out of current students. The moment you graduate, BAM, you're on their telemarketing radar. But so long as you're still a student, they don't harass you. That was what she meant by "Oh, we really shouldn't have called you." Because they don't expect me to donate when I'm still paying my way through school.

But what's funny about it is the timing: they call me on March 2, approximately 10 months after I graduated. They basically decided, "We'll give him 10 months to find a job, settle in, start paying the bills, and then call him and ask for some of his disposable income." lol

3 comments:

Keith Mck said...

I havnet gotten the call yet but thanks for the warning. 51% seems kinda high but I guess its not entirely imposisble since Jischke is a fund raising machine.

SuiginChou said...

I think it's a combined effect from:

a) how large an alumni body we have. At roughly 8,000 new alumni generated each year, that means that if even 1% of them donate a thousand dollars, that's $80,000 from each class.

b) how rich and generous (and maybe greedy for their name on a building?) .0001% of our alumni are, donating million dollar packages.


Also, Jischke's been replaced by Cordova, but I'm guessing that Jischke's effects live on -- as you pointed out, he was a fund-raising machine, and I doubt that just because he's gone so are the people he persuaded into donating money to the university. My understanding is that Cordova is pouring / wants to pour most of the money into Research Park. Apparently it's getting a lot of scorn even from science professors because she's more or less undercutting the educators for the sake of the pure researchers and she's completely debasing the liberal arts educators ... that's my understanding, anyway. I could be way offbase, though, since I'm out of touch with the campus.

Keith Mck said...

This will always be a major argument in large teaching/research institutions as Purdue. Do we pay the guys that teach the information or do we pay the guys that find the information? There of course needs to be a balance but I think Cordova is doing the right thing since Purdue has always been a research first university. Research brings in funding and publicity that will attract pure educators to the school.