Thursday, January 10, 2008

Lower Back Pains

Yesterday, I went from the bookstore (see before) to Lynn to study some more. I had been fine all day, and even fine during the walk, but when I arrived in Lynn Basement, I had this really, really bad lower back pain. So bad I was forced into (foolish-lookingly) walking "kyphotically." (kyphosis = hunchback)

When I went to bed, I was in pretty painful spirits. I couldn't find a comfortable position bedsore-wise that was also comfortable backpain-wise. I ended up finding some manji-shaped position which suited both needs and (presumably) fell asleep.

When I woke up this morning, it felt better than when I had gone to bed, but that was as short-lived as the 20-foot trip to the toilet. It's been painful all day, but never as bad as Wednesday night. It's painful right now.

I took a nap today from 1:30pm to 5:20pm, and my back felt better each time I woke up. (First at 3pm, then at 5pm, and then at 5:20pm, and I stayed in bed, awake, until 5:40pm.) By the time I got out of bed, I thought I was cured ... but no. No cure. More back pain.

It hurts initially if I sit upright, but then goes away until I (unconsciously) slouch and try to re-erect myself. It really hurts if I try to do anything involving a 90°-angle between the trunk and the thigh (e.g. bending down while standing to pick up a tissue, leaning forward and downward while sitting on a couch to try and tie my shoelaces).

I'll take solace in the fact that I seem to lack Kernig's and Brudzinski's signs. ;p Not to mention, no headaches, neck pain, etc. So, if we can rule out meningitis, that leaves ... everything else. ;p

3 comments:

Mack Ramer said...

As a wise man (Colleen's uncle Jim) once told me, "A bad back is often caused by a bad front," i.e. a gut. Are you still exercising?

SuiginChou said...

I haven't been able to for 5 weeks.

Week 1 = 4 exams iirc
Week 2 = 3 exams iirc
Week 3 = break, can't jog outside
Week 4 = break, can't jog outside
Week 5 = break, can't jog outside

Speaking of which, we've learned that jogging in cold weather's about the dumbest thing you can do (you're better off being in my position) because you run the risk of throwing your heart into arrhythmias and shutting off if your core body temperature gets too low, which it can (and does) despite the lay-argument of "generating heat by working out" when it's -10 outside. So, indeed, I couldn't have worked out even if I had been willing to.

I wanted to work out this Friday as of this Tuesday (Monday evening through Thursday evening, first week back, didn't seem smart), but ever since Wednesday, I've known it wouldn't be possible.

I'm doing some sort of hip-thrusting exercise one of my peers taught me at school. We'll see what happens. If the pain is still bad by Monday, I'll go to PUSH.

Unknown said...

Does your school have a gym?

If so you should consider going to it ever so often. Even an hour a week makes a difference.

You can cut out all those wasted hours on the internetz searching for H and use those hours working out. It'll be healthier and much less creepy.

Anyway, if bending over hurts, try bend your knees and squat down. It should hurt less.