
I'm having a hard time writing an introductory plot synopsis for this show, so check my blog for earlier Witchblade writings for clumsy but already-penned attempts to explain it. Here, I just want to say that I picked it back up (after putting it on hold mid-November) and just finished it tonight, and it was "good," but I'm not sure if it was good enough to make my Silver List (the jury's still out, I'll need to think about it some more) and it definitely didn't make it to the Gold List in the end.
Witchblade was a very character-driven anime in the end; I felt like I truly loved each and every person shown in this photo as if they were close friends.Like a lot of Gonzo animes I've seen, Witchblade had a strong beginning, a solid middle, but a rushed ending when discussing plot; and conversely, it had a slow beginning, a solid middle, and a fantastic ending when discussing character development. Because of this "at odds with itself" situation, it almost felt like I was watching two different Witchblades -- the one in November felt very plot-driven and plot-awesome, while the one in December felt more character-driven and character-awesome. I am by nature biased towards plot over character (if I had to choose), so perhaps that's why I've never been much of a fan of Gonzo projects; but Witchblade ended on such a high note by Episode 23 that in the final episode (24), all Gonzo had to do to ensure I didn't look back on the show with hatred was to not have a completely shitty ending. And indeed, Gonzo avoided such an atrocity -- for the first time. So I am happy to say, I've finally seen a Gonzo anime that I would consider recommending to others (if a bit hesitantly) and that I am happy to have seen myself.
Rihoko: a daughter worth dying forWhile I don't think the anime is the embodiment of "a strong series," I would say that it had one of the most well-delivered claims I've ever seen. What do I mean by a "claim?" Well, a lot of shows open with premises like "this boy must endure many hardships before he can become king" or like "these two are more in love than any other couple has ever been in history," but then they fail to live up to my expectations. The hardships aren't hard enough (for the one example) or the love doesn't seem to me to be all that impressive (for the other example), etc. Well, Witchblade's singular big claim was "Masane and Rihoko are the ultimate mother-daughter pair. Rihoko is the perfect daughter. And Masane loves her more than any mother could ever love a daughter." Okay, that's three claims. But the thing is, Witchblade actually delivered. (And hence I say "a well-delivered claim"!) The show convinced me early on, and it was a pleasure to be along for the ride the rest of the 20-some episodes where I was already convinced, that yes, Masane and Rihoko are the ultimate mother-daughter pairing for television; that yes, Rihoko is the perfect daughter (NO FAULTS AND EVERY PERFECT ATTRIBUTE!); and that yes, I don't think I could imagine a mother who loves her daughter more purely and genuinely than did Masane. So ... even though Witchblade is a far cry in quality from being considered "an epic tale," I have to say that the Masane-Rihoko character relationship will probably last with me for years, perhaps (who knows) decades, because it was just so epically well-delivered, so perfect. Gonzo made a promise, and they kept it. Good job.
It finally, truly hits Masane what Takayama told her about not being able to take off the Witchblade once it attaches to youFinally, I'll briefly mention one spoiler, so don't read it if you intend to watch this show soon -- very early in the show, you are told that "Once the Witchblade finds a host, it cannot be removed until the host dies." I think that this show did a great job of realistically portraying how a human being would react to that news in the days, weeks, and months after she discovers she's the new Witchblade wielder. At first, Masane is not so worried, although the gravity of that statement does concern her. When she learns that mere usage of the Witchblade hastens one's death, such that one may die a few years or even a few months after beginning to use it to fight monsters and whatnot, she becomes more concerned about her situation but still puts off thoughts of removing it. It is not until she is on death's doorstep that she attempts to cheat the Witchblade; by using screwdrivers, crowbars, even a compressor, Masane attempts to destroy the Witchblade -- even at the cost of her own arm! When all her efforts fail (because the Witchblade protects itself by destroying whatever is trying to destroy it), she realizes that her fate is sealed -- and that she's at the tail end of it. This picture is from that moment, and it was one of the most powerful moments in the show for me.
1 comment:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071224/ap_en_mo/film_review_persepolis
Another ABBA fan? Must be an Iranian thing! I can't wait for this movie. Too bad Indie Lounge isn't getting it until late Feb. :(
Post a Comment