Friday, November 16, 2007

You Guys Can't Drive

Proof that Hoosiers drive well and that New Yorkers, Georgians, and Rhode Islanders all suck: CNN reports 1 in 6 drivers would fail . Well, maybe not "proof," but certainly corroborating evidence. :p

6 comments:

SuiginChou said...

The worst problem that I encounter is people who are behind me in the fast lane, and I'm going (e.g.) 65 in a 55, they go into the right lane to cut me off, I maintain speed, they succeed in cutting me off, I maintain speed, and then they force me to either decrease in speed or cut them off (like some sick game of musical chairs) because they decide that they want to go 60 in a 55 and not 65 (my speed) or faster. It's like, "Why the fuck did you do that!?"

However, (a) this problem isn't that common and (b) it's not that often that I go more than 5 miles above the speed limit; I only go 65 on a 55 for this US highway that's 1 mile from where I live and my mode of getting to school because I know it like the back of my hand and it usually has low traffic.

In an ideal world, I'd go the speed limit (it's what I do at home), but people here in a college town will mow you down if you do that, and I have to make more than my fair share of left turns, i.e. I am required to often go faster than I'd prefer because it's "the fast lane" and if I don't I'll piss people off. If I had it my way, the "fast" lane would match the legal speed limit while the "slow" lane would be the one where people could enjoy going -5 to -10 the speed limit without being harassed.

Lunar said...

That reminds me of the time I was going 60 in a 55, and some guy suddenly FLIES past me, cuts in front of me, and then slows down to a speed slower than what I was going for. The SOB. If my exit had not been right there I would have gone right back in front of him.

If I had my way, everybody would always be going the speed limit all the time, so I wouldn't feel pressured to speed. Perhaps speed limits should be hard-coded into the computer systems of cars, and highways should be small radio devices installed that broadcast the maximum possible speed limit to the cars. That'd be grand.

SuiginChou said...

I always imagine(d) that that's the way automated transit would operate -- all cars move at a legally-defined maximum speed and accelerate and decelerate at a legally-defined maximum rate, i.e. not only would all cars go 75 on an interstate but they would also go from 75 to 40 as they approached the exit ramp in the same 15-second window of time.

big bad birtha said...

What I hate is when people ride my ass when I am going five miles over the speed limit (I know it's not much more, but I'm not going faster than that.) It is especially annoying at night because my eyes are REALLY sensitive to light, and their head-lights blind me. I'll usually pull over and ride their ass with the high beams on!

Then there's two groups of people that I just can't help but stereotype. That is old people and bitches on their cell phones. They have to be the most obnoxious drivers ever. They will stop in the middle of the road, go a crazy speed (too high or two low) and then they will cut in front of you without even signaling.

Everyone else drives fine. I mean, there's exceptions, but those two groups of people are who give me problems. Of course, I love it when it is just me on the road because I will usually just chill out and drive 20 miles under the speed limit. It's good to daydream when driving slowly.

Lunar said...

Old people. Damn old people. Some old person once turned left right in front of me into the American Legion. If I hadn't been paying attention, I would have plowed right into his passenger side door.

If you don't think you can make it, you probably can't. Don't take stupid chances old people.

Unknown said...

Easily more than half of Asian people can't drive. I can vouch for that xd.

Anyway, there's a LOT of dumb rules of the road that no one really follows. Like 10-and-2 and stopping before the stop sign. These things are typically things you only do to pass a test, not in real life driving.

I don't know how GMAC ran their tests, but an aggressive driver is likely classified as a law breaker. And if you're not aggressive in NY, you're probably not driving xd.