Thursday, November 22, 2007

More Mario Galaxy + Wii Impressions

Skip the first paragraph (JUST SCROLL DOWN!) if you don't want even the tiniest inkling of Mario Galaxy's plot.

Mario Galaxy's plot -- yes, this game has a story! -- focuses mostly around Rosalina and the Lumos and is presented to players through a "storytime" sessions where Rosalina reads to the childlike Lumos, star children who accompany her aboard her interstellar observatory. Suffice to say, adults will guess at the identity of the girl in the fairytale fairly quickly (I was guessing it right off the bat when I saw Chapters 1 and 2 back to back), but it's not really confirmed for younger children until halfway through the book (Chapter 05 of what looks like it'll be 08). Anyway, it's really really cute. It reads like something inspired by Le Petit Prince and has awesome pastel drawings to match.

The gameplay ... well, I'll say that my favorite power-up of the game so far of the three I've attained is the Ice Flower. Ice Mario is just the coolest thing in a long time and I really wish his power up would last more than 15 seconds. -_- Anyway, it's really fun to use him on water and to walljump waterfalls. It's just such a cool image.

I have so many stars right now, I'm ready to beat the game without even TOUCHING any of the levels in World 4. (I have like 44 stars -- when I was granted access to the 2nd and 3rd worlds, I'd already unlocked 4 of the 5 stages, but for the recently-unlocked 4th world, every last stage was ready to go.) Still, I'm a purist who has to try to get every star in every stage as he goes along and will only quit if the mission is really annoying (which hasn't been an issue yet, amazingly).

=================
As for the Wii itself, no technical problems yet. I sync'ed Controller 2, so now we're officially a 2-Controller Wii family, and my mom and I had a little fun playing Wii Play's air hockey, pool, and Duck Hunt games. (Don't get too excited -- the Duck Hunt game lacks in longevity what it makes up for in graphics. There are only five stages, they always come in the same order, and some of them are pretty worthless. In fact, the only ones I like are Stage 2 [bullseyes] and Stage 3 [clay discs].)

I spent forever trying to find a way to get Opera installed on the Wii. I finally went online (via my PC) and realized you have to *purchase* it from the Wii Shop channel. I hope the pricepoint is $0, otherwise I'll just say screw it. The last thing I want is to go visit a website only to have it load a virus that corrupts my Wii.

3 comments:

Jay said...

Wow. I had no idea idea this blog exists. Can I link you on my xanga?

Anyhoo --I can't believe you've even beat me to SMG impressions! Perhaps I'll write mine later today. I've beat the main game and I'm now working towards collecting all 120 stars (although it seems like getting there may be a bitch) I believe I have 82 stars.

Opera was free to early adopters, but Nintendo started charging last summer. I believe it costs something like 5 or 6 dollars (500-600 wii points) and can be found under the WiiWare page on the Shopping Channel (along with some still free channel downloads --News channel, weather channel, everybody votes channel --which is addictive--)

If you have a wireless router, chances are you're good to go and wont need the wifi dongle. Nintendowifi.com has a lot of tutorials and faqs which allow you to check your router model number.

Anyway, that's enough for now. Happy Wii playing!

Unknown said...

Why would you think you could get a virus from downloading with the Wii prior to getting an actual browser?

It can only download off the Nintendo Wii site prior to it and I sincerely doubt it can download elsewhere even after you get the browser.

You're WAY too paranoid. Especially since this is a no-brainer and you've got yourself a warranty. I'm pretty sure you can just throw that Wii down from the top of your college library and bring it to Wal-Mart and say you had an 'accident' and get a new one no questions asked (I know my friend did something similar with his DS and his truck just because he scratched a corner).

SuiginChou said...

To Will: I meant after, and so you can stop right there.

To Jay: Yeah, it exists. Blame Mike. Sure, you can link me, since it's not *me* posting (with my Xanga account) that I am the owner of the blog. I think Matt is in a similar predicament (where Ben L. is his Mike). Oh well. Jay, these (*points to the only other readers here*) are my friends from UPN, an online community I've been a part of for many years. They'll be happy to discuss video games and the like with you, though I think they may opt out of some of your evolution & religion interests.

Regarding the Wii: I should have mentioned!
a) I figured it out.
b) I'm not paying for Opera. :\ I'll just browse via PC, it's better anyway.
c) I'm concerned that I might visit (say) a hentai site and get some Wii-targeting virus onto my Wii and be screwed, since I wouldn't be able to send it in to NoA for repairs since they'd need to know what sort of site I was looking at. ¬¬
d) but yeah, I can get online just fine with my wireless router, didn't have to do much, really easy so long as you know your wifi key
e) I installed Everybody Votes
f) the weather and news channels came with the Wii out-of-the-box, though (of course) they wouldn't be able to work until you hooked up to the Internet