My friend BBB from UPNetwork was really excited about this game during the summer; it's a fan-made 2D fighter that takes many of the female characters from this one studio's (Key's) history of games and throws them into a winner-take-all rumble. Apparently, the game is very fun and very well-balanced. Also apparently, as I read tonight on Wikipedia, the game has a, and I quote, "large fanbase." I've never seen this fanbase, but hey, I figure any fan-made fighter that can claim to rival MeltyBlood in popularity is worth a look.
Anyway, this is a shout-out question of an entry to BBB: dude, I'm wondering, can this game do multiplayer online? Or can you only fight bots (like with MeltyBlood)? Don't get me wrong, I'm expecting single player only, but I read somewhere that fans have been trying to get a fighting system going, which would suggest the game is capable of forming peer-to-peer connections. So ... ?
Another question -- I just unzipped the zip/rar it came in, and so ... do I first click on "EFZ" or on "CONFIG"?
Final question -- can I run this in English mode? Or is this one of the many, many, many Japanese doujinsofts which require me to move over to Japanese mode before I can play it?
Sunday, October 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
As for the multiplayer. I don't think so. There's a two player mode, but I don't see how it would work out since there's only one keyboard to play it with. Also, there is no online. It would be great if there was, so I could fight you and show you how badass my sweet adorable Ayu can be in the right hands >=D
Second question. Just click on the "EFZ" icon (the one with the blonde girl. Oh, and her name is Misuzu.). This game isn't very complex, so there isn't any installing required. Hell, I put it on my flashdrive and I play it at school from the flashdrive =D.
Final question. You can only run it in Japanese, but that's no big deal at all. You can figure out what does what easily with a little click and experiment since there isn't many options. Actually, the start menu is in English, so there really isn't any confusion at all. There is one thing that you might need to know. The 2P is you. So instead of being on the usual left side, you are on the right.
Anyway, this game is REALLY fun. I would say it's kind of like SSBM in how you just can't get tired of it. I play it every now and then. Also, since I am playing ONE (25% of the characters came from ONE), I know even more of the characters, which will incline me to play it more.
Here's a link for the information on the characters and the moves. If you have any trouble figuring out what the symbols mean, ask.
http://kitchen.realotakuheroes.com/games/efz_intro.htm
I couldn't get it to work at first, so I switched over to Japanese mode so I could take a better look at the Configuration, and lo and behold, the default for my install had Player 1 as owning a GamePad and Player 2 having no key assignments whatsoever! So I assigned Player 2 to be Up, Down, Left, Right, A, S, D, and F (for the eight respective buttons). Not working out too well, I'll need to tweak it later to suit my fingers better, but at least I got to play.
(All the following is listed as me vs. the computer)
First fight: Sayuri vs. Mai. I nearly beat her the first round but lost, and then lost very quickly the second round.
Second fight: Ayu vs. Sayuri. I wanted to see what my Sayuri could do. ^-^ And she kicked my ass pretty roughly. @_@
Third fight: Awake Nayuki vs. Sleepy Nayuki. Wow. Awake Nayuki is grossly overpowered. I destroyed Sleepy Nayuki in under 20 seconds in the first round, and then she put up one hell of a fight the second round (with both of us ending up at ~0% health left) but I still came out on top.
I thought BBB might like to know what the girls are saying, so ... Awake Nayuki's was the easiest (no need for me to consult any kanji dictionary or anything), she says, "Hidoiyo! Watashi, sonna ni nebosuke jyanai yo!" --> "You meanie! I'm not that much of a sleepyhead!" would be the general idea. "You meanie" sounds a bit childish, so opt to swap in "You're mean!" or "How could you?", etc. etc.
Aah. You have gotten started have you? I never messed with the controls though. I was satisfied with the directional buttons and Z,X and C.
As for your first fight. Mai is pretty tough. She has this move where she disappears and if you don't block at the RIGHT time (she usually uses it when you can't dodge) you will take a pretty heavy hit.
Second fight.....Ayu happens to be like the third most difficult computer opponent in the game. For some reason, computer Ayu is an insanely good blocker, and after she blocks....shockwave uppercut. Ayu is also very mobile, so hitting her might be a problem. After fighting her at level four, it took everything I had to beat her. Of course, since I actually use my eternity special and she doesn't, I kind of had an advantage there. Such a good move wasted ;_;
Whoops. You were Ayu. Well, Sayuri is annoying on the Mizuka level. She has this cheapass move where she grabs you (where it is almost impossible to block) and she slams you against the end of the stage. However, when it is all said and done, Sayuri eats an ass-load of feathers >=D
Third fight. Oh god, awake Nayuki is a pain in the ass. Sleepy Nayuki is a pushover, but when she's awake, she has some mad combos. Also, that ice ball she has is very annoying.
As for the translations. That website I gave you has them ^_^;.
I have a question, have you had the chance to use one of your eternity specials? I was just curious, because they make really good last resorts.
I said Sayuri was annoying on the Mizuka level, but let me tell you. Mizuka is probably the biggest pain in the ass in the game (her kid form also counts). She has this move where she runs at you, grabs you, and beats you with a pillow. Oh, not only can you not block it, but it does an assload of damage. And for some stupid ass reason, even though my character is a very quick attacker, Mizuka ALWAYS gets the first hit with her sit in chair and kick you attack.
I DID say Mizuka was the most annoying, but nowhere near the most difficult. The most difficult character is Kanna. She is the big boss of the game, and if you are not good with blocking, she will chew your ass up with combos that take almost 1/3 of your health. Well, Kanna at level 1 and 2 is a pushover because she doesn't attack much....
Also, I forgot to mention. Doppel Nanase is not an actual character, meaning that she is an EFZ only character. In ONE, Rumi Nanase does not have a Doppelganger.
If you have a question about who a certain character is, I will gladly answer. Since playing ONE, I know all of the characters except for Ikumi Amisawa (she's from MOON). Oh, speaking of her, she DOES make a very slight appearance in Kanon 2006 =D. Of course, I will keep when she appears to myself for the moment =P.
As you can tell, I have alot of pent up feelings about this ^_^'
I played as the girl named UNKNOWN, and it was pretty fun, if a little cheap. "I hit F. I levitate. I hit the Up arrow. I levitate all the way towards the sky. Nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah!" Awake Nayuki had a good strategy of kicking her iceballs towards me, but I've begun to learn how to time *cancelling* my levitation so I fall just below the iceball and kick Awake Nayuki as she's still not blocking.
I am having trouble with performing rea, combos and/or higher-level moves. I button mashed a lot with UNKNOWN just to see what she could do, and she could do a lot of cool things. I button mashed with Awake Nayuki and I managed to pull off the iceball kick quite a few times. Yet I don't know how, and I haven't been able to replicate any of these cool moves when trying to professionally fight (i.e. no button mashing, just try to find the combos naturally). It's a pain. I'm wondering if I should invest in an XBox 360 controller for the PC and just use it as my gamepad for this game, since I have a sneaking suspicion that you are required to roll directions (i.e. go from Up to Diagonal Up-Right to Right) to do some moves, and rolling directions has never been my strong point on a keyboard where I am inclined to hit keys one at a time in succession, i.e. I have difficulty telling my brain "Hit Up, now hit Up and Right, and now hit Right to simulate a roll." It's much easier to just actually roll with a real D-pad.
God, Unknown is the second most difficult AND annoying character in the game. Just so you know, she's kid Mizuka (I can provide a CG of her if you like). She is like the secondary boss of the game. Whenever she goes to float, though, I either go after her (Ayu can jump REALLY high) or use my upward shockwave.
Aah, the commands. Most of the characters' moves consist of hitting the following (some characters might not have these combos. I know, Ayu, Misuzu, and most other people I use have them): down,down-forward, forward, and attack (the kind of attack depends on which power button you push.) down,down-back,back, and attack. Down, forward, down-forward (this one is a little tricky, but is usually the best simple attack). Then there's down, down-forward, forward, down, down-forward, forward, attack. Down, down-back, back, back, down-back, back, and attack. The third attack depends on the character, but here's the combination for Ayu's shockwave attack: forward, back, down-back, down, down-forward, forward, and attack. Now, the eternity specials don't require rolling (or the ones I have encountered atleast.). However, they all depend on the character. If you want to know a certain character's eternity special, I can translate what the page says and tell you (I know what the numbers mean), but for some stupid reason, it doesn't have awake Nayuki or Kanna (I have Kanna's movesets anyway, so it's alright).
Also, rolling isn't that difficult. Just pretend your finger is walking on the pad. Take a step on one key, stay on it for a second, then release while taking a step on the second key.
Dude, I need a controller. *is speaking from years of experience of frustration with playing fighters on PCs* I've never invested in one, but now, I have several doujinsoft fighters (Melty Blood, EFZ Memorial, this one Maria-sama ga Miteru fighter), so I really should just get the XBox 360 controller and be done with it. How much do they cost, anyway? *hopes it's $40 or less*
360 controllers are like $50. Wired might be $40, but I think it might be more... Don't hold me on that, I only play it wireless.
Anyway, A, S, D, F is probably not the best set of buttons for fighters. The buttons don't overlap, so you might not be able to pull off certain things like if pushing Punch and Kick turned into Grapple, you'd end up doing a punch and/or a kick and not the intended grapple throw. At least this is what a friend told me when I put a fighter on my computer (forgot the name, I stopped playing it after a while). You should assign Shift and Control even if they're not the most comfortable buttons.
My main problem is rolling. The game's configuration prompt only allows you to map four keys for directions ("Up", "Down", "Left", "Right") even though it is capable of interpreting eight directions and even requires players to "roll" along those eight directions (e.g. go from Up to Up-Left to Left in 1 second). Why this is a problem is, keyboards are designed expressly against rolling! Because the idea was, "You only want to hit certain keystrokes at certain times, so we don't want your tired fingers slipping or sliding on adjacent keys to be interpreted by the computer as intended input, now do we?" And so keyboard input is (1) rigid, (2) spaced out (relative to a D-pad), and (3) nonpermissive of one finger depressing two (and only two) keys at once.
If you don't believe me, here are some simple experiments you can try at home:
1 - with one finger, try to hit only U and J at the same time. (Notice: you'll probably end up hitting either just U or U, J, Space Bar, and possibly M.)
2 - with one finger, try to hit 8 on the NumPad all by itself, then 8 and 4 at the same time (but only 8 and 4!), and then just 4. (Can't do it. I keep grabbing either 5 with my finger or the Right Arrow key with my palm.)
It's easy for BBB to say, "Try to learn to do it with two fingers!" But I've been entering fighter commands for years (1989-present) and am conditioned to using my left thumb (console) or entire right hand (arcade) for rolling. It's just too much work to "unlearn what [I] have learned" and try to do it with two fingers.
Ok, I guess it is a little easy for me to say that, since I DID adjust to it fine, but this is the first game for the PC I have played that wasn't an RPG, and you are experienced in PC fighters, and you are a MUCH better typist than me. This is the very first game where I had to use the keyboard to roll with two fingers, but I adjusted to it fine. I also thought you would be able to as well.
I don't know how you do it, but I use three fingers for the directions. Forefinger for left, middle finger for down and up, and ring finger for right. Oh, and to throw some fun in there, I am left-handed.
I apologize for what I just said (even though there was no anger in there at all)....I was kind of offended when you said "Oh! It's easy for birtha to say it, even though he is at much more of a disadvantage than I am with fighters."
I realized that when it comes to video games, I am in insanely fast learner ^_^;. I can adjust to almost anything MUCH quicker than most people could.
An easy example is with Resident Evil 4. I borrowed my friend's RE 4, and I beat it and mercenaries in 1.5 weeks. Well he beat the main story in one week, and it took him two weeks to beat mercenaries. Just so you know, we did the whole "play all day every day" thing, so I did not have a "Oh, he spent more time on it." advantage. Also, that was the first time I played a 3rd person shooter as well (I NEVER liked shooters). He is also a very good shooter player. So it was obvious that I had the experience disadvantage, but in the end, I adjusted to it WAY faster than him.
Post a Comment